• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dwi charge, NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

showsif

What is the name of your state? NY

I was arrested for DWI in NY and was unsure of the consequences of blowing or not. I refused. I understand now that this was the wrong choice. This is my first DWI charge, I was charged with public intoxication over a year ago in Virginia. I was wondering what the chances are of getting the charges reduced as far as license suspension, possible jail time, and a conditional license.

I'm not sure if this will be relevant information but it was late at night in a week I had worked 80 hours and at the time of the the arrest the vehicle was in park in the drive-thru lane of a fast food restaurant.

BL

New York State's "Zero Tolerance" Law became effective on November 1, 1996.

The Zero Tolerance law applies to a person under age 21 who operates a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .02% or more but not more than .07%.

Even though the law is called "zero tolerance," the minimum BAC is .02 and not 0. This is because certain cough syrups and mouthwashes contain alcohol, and since some families will permit the consumption of small amounts of alcohol as part of religious or family functions. The Legislature decided to set the standard at .02% in order to address only those young people who had willfully consumed alcohol and operated a motor vehicle.

If you are stopped...

If you are stopped by a police officer for having consumed alcohol and the officer deems that you are younger than 21 and appear to have consumed alcohol, you will be temporarily detained for the purpose of taking a breathalyzer test to determine your blood alcohol level (BAC), usually at the police station.

If you refuse to take a breath test, you will be subject to a license revocation of at least one year. Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) and How You May Be Charged

BAC Offense Procedures
.02% or more
but not more than .07% Driving after having consumed alcohol
(a zero tolerance violation) Administrative Hearing
more than .05% and less than .08% Driving while ability is impaired by alcohol (DWAI) Criminal Court
.08% or more Driving while intoxicated (DWI) Criminal Court

If your BAC is .02% or more, but not more than .07%, you will be charged with the traffic offense of "driving after having consumed alcohol." You will then be provided with a notice to appear for a hearing before an administrative law judge of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If your BAC is more than .05% but not more than .07%, the police will have the option of charging you with "driving while ability is impaired by alcohol" (DWAI).

If your BAC is more than .07% but less than .08% you will be charged with the offense of "driving while ability is impaired by alcohol" (DWAI), and for those with a BAC of .08% or more, the charge will be "driving while intoxicated" (DWI). If you are charged with either DWI or DWAI, you will be arrested and dealt with in criminal court.

If you are charged...

The DMV Administrative Hearing

If you are charged with having operated a motor vehicle after having consumed alcohol and are scheduled for a DMV administrative hearing:

The police officer must prove that:

You were the person who operated the motor vehicle;
A valid request was made to submit to a chemical test (e.g., breathalyzer);
You were younger than 21 at the time;
The chemical test was properly administered;
The test showed you had consumed alcohol (.02% or more); and
The police officer made a lawful stop of the vehicle.
You will be entitled to provide evidence in your defense, including any witnesses. You may have an attorney represent you at the hearing, however since this is not a criminal hearing, there is no provision for a public defender and you would be responsible for all of the attorney's fees. If, after both sides have been heard, the police officer has carried his burden of proving the case, the administrative law judge will make a finding that you drove after having consumed alcohol.

Failure to attend for the hearing will result in a temporary suspension – but you may reschedule your hearing.
An official waiver will waive your right to a hearing and will result in a suspension or revocation, as appropriate.
Hearing Results

While being charged with driving after consuming alcohol is considered a serious violation of the law, it is not designated as a crime and you cannot go to jail for violating this law.

However, at the very least you will have your license suspended for six months and pay a civil penalty of $125. You must pay an additional $100 fee when your license is returned. If you are charged with having driven after having consumed alcohol, the charge will remain on your record for three years or until you are 21, whichever is longer.

If you have any prior alcohol-related traffic offenses on your record, your license will be revoked for one year or until you reach the age of 21, whichever is longer.

If you lose your license...

License Revocation

You will need to turn in your license to DMV, and it will be illegal for you to drive. At the end of the revocation period, you may apply for a permit and start the licensing procedure. This does not mean that you will have a new driving record. Any convictions you had with the license which was revoked will still be part of your driving record.

License Suspension

You will need to turn in your license to DMV, and it will be illegal for you to drive. Your license will be returned to you at the end of the suspension period.

If your license is suspended under the zero tolerance law, and you do not have any prior alcohol-related convictions on your license, you may be eligible for a conditional license. However, in order to receive one, you must enroll in and complete the an approved Driver Program. Both the program and the conditional license carry additional costs to you over and above those costs mentioned previously. A conditional license will allow you to drive back and forth to work and school, but it is not the same as a full license.

moburkes

Have you, by chance, perused the Bureau of Motor Vehicle's (or whatever you New Yorkers call it) website to see what the consequences are?

BL

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#dwi

Chemical Test Refusal: A driver who refuses to take a chemical test (normally a test of breath, blood or urine) can receive a driver license revocation of at least one year and must pay a $500 civil penalty ($550 for a driver of commercial vehicles) to apply for a new driver license. A driver who refuses a chemical test during the five years after a DWI-related charge will have their driver license revoked for at least 18 months and must pay a $750 civil penalty to apply for a new driver license.

Penalties:
Chemical Test Refusal
$500 civil penalty ($550 for commercial drivers) None Revoked for at least one year/18 months for commercial drivers

Last edited:

showsif

I realize that the NYS laws and the policies of the NYS DMV are very clear for DWI. I also know of many people who were first time offenders, who blew over a .08, and were able to get charges reduced to a DWAI. I was wondering if my refusal may have jeopardized any chances I had of getting my charges reduced with the DA.

moburkes

Okay, but you do realize that you're asking us to use our crystal ball. It is currently out of service. You can contact a local attorney for assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">