• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI in DC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp25

1st DWI offense. Had a high BAC (.22). Wondering if anyone has some good advice for me besides, "hire a good attorney and don't drink and drive again." Also, is it inevitible for me to lose my license or does DC do interlock? I actually have an out of state license, so I guess they won't take it away, but I've heard I will lose my driving privileges in the district.

FlyingRon

1st DWI offense. Had a high BAC (.22). Wondering if anyone has some good advice for me besides, "hire a good attorney and don't drink and drive again." Also, is it inevitible for me to lose my license or does DC do interlock? I actually have an out of state license, so I guess they won't take it away, but I've heard I will lose my driving privileges in the district.
A first offense DUI is 6 mos suspension but they are fairly leniant with restrticted (hardship) licenses, there's no mandataory hard suspension period. Your own state will almost certainly hear and take action as a result of your DC suspension. A good lawyer is key here.

needhelp25

Glad to hear they're fairly lenient with a hardship. I'm a grad student, and I work. What kind of action do you think my home state will take?

sjmjuly

Well your BAC was high and that could cause a stiffer fine and possibly more alcohol education classes. If convicted of the offense, DC will notify your home state and they will suspend your home state license just as if the DWI happened in your home state.

needhelp25

From what I've seen online, a BAC over .20 requires 5 days in jail. I spoke with an attorney yesterday who said he thought I wouldn't have to serve that time. Is it fairly common for the prosecutors to let someone plead to a lower offense? Is there any way, they might let me plead to .19?

sjmjuly

I know that in neighboring Virginia, any BAC over .15 there is a required minimum jail time of 5 days. DC may be different. Most first time offenders with low BAC's usually don't spend time in jail unless there are other circumstances such as an accident or injuries.
With a high BAC, it's going to be real hard for you to plead down.

needhelp25

expungement?

I was also wondering what the laws were regarding expungement. So far, attorneys have said it will stay on my record for 10 years. One said if I hire him, he would try to have me plead to OWI. I'm not sure if that would look better or not. This is a big problem for me, because I'm going into a field where licensing is required. On all state licensing applications it asks if you've been convicted of any offense greater than a minor traffic violation.

"On all state licensing applications it asks if you've been convicted of any offense greater than a minor traffic violation.

** This is a typical question asked on virtually ALL employment applications. In the private sector, what they usually look for are felonies. However, private sector employers may consider misdemeanors that represent a risk to them such as robbery. A DUI doesn't mean much if you complete the sanctions successfully. That's your hurdle in the private sector...your DUI is recent and you haven't had the time to complete the sanctions.

As far as state or government employment goes, your DUI may or may not mean anything. It really depends on the political implicactions in the field you're in.

needhelp25

jobs/licensing

I am a graduate student in the field of Clinical Psychology. I just finished my MA degree, and am moving to a different school to pursue the doctorate. I will have to begin applying for next years practicum around Dec. I am worried that I will not be able to get a job at a practicum spot due to the very recent DWI. Since the practicums involve dealing with mental health, I believe they won't hire someone with an alcohol related offense. I wanted to post this issue here before asking my advisor. I never thought that one night might potentially ruin my future career. At this point, I'm thinking of not continuing with school. Then I'm faced with the problem of trying to find another job. Is an OWI conviction looked at as negatively as DWI? Had my BAC not been so high, I would have qualified for the first offender program. Does anyone know if prosecutors are ever willing to knock the BAC down, so that I could enter the first offender program? None of the attorneys I've spoken with have had anything positive to say. They act as if I just have to plead to what I've done and live with it for 10 years. I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record, and I've never been in any other type of trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">