• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI and Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Syberman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello, I was pulled over for my first DWI in 12/08. I appeared in court on 1/09 and lost my licence for 7 months. I interviewed for a job this afternoon and the interviewer asked me if I have any criminal charges. I told him about my DWI and he told me that it was "ok". A little while later, a colleauge if his walked into the room and asked him if a DWI was a criminal charge. He responded with a yes. He stated that he was a police officer.

I am really concerned with this. They are going to do a criminal background check on all the applicants and based on that, they will move to phase 2 of the interview process. I do not have any previous criminal charges, just speeding tickets in the past. I want/need this job. Should I not get my hopes up for this position? Do I have a chance? Any help is always appreciated.

Syberman

FlyingRon

DUI is a criminal charge. It will show up on background checks.
We can't predict how an employer will act on the information.

BigMistakeFl

I can only tell you from my own experiences. I lost a few potential jobs because of my DUI. One I lost right away because I chose not to disclose it in the application process. Naturally, my arrest turned up on the rudimentary background check and I was tossed aside because it appeared I was not honest.

I think I got a pass by several others simply because the other applicants did not have this DUI on their records. I have landed a few jobs since without any problems, but understand..... this is on your record and it can and will affect your ability to be hired. Much of that certainly depends upon the type of work you do, but I would advise never to fail to disclose it. Tell them it happened, tell them very briefly how it happened, remind them that this was your cure, that you will now be the one employee they do not have to worry about this happening to again.

Syberman

Yeah, I told him that I was ashamed of myself and it will never happpen again. I think he sees that I walked up to the plate and told him before he did the background check. IMHO, I scored some major points on being honest and upfront with him before he found out when he did the background check.

Syberman

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">