• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI / Extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shamrock kid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

If a bench warrant is issued for a person who didn't show to their DUI hearing, what can that person expect to happen next? Will authorities show up to their job/home and/or question their family/co-workers? Or will the authorities simply wait for that person to be pulled over, arrested, etc.?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

If a bench warrant is issued for a person who didn't show to their DUI hearing, what can that person expect to happen next? Will authorities show up to their job/home and/or question their family/co-workers? Or will the authorities simply wait for that person to be pulled over, arrested, etc.?
1. Something bad

2. Perhaps

3. Likely

Deal with your drunken mess before you end up in a bigger mess. ;)

shamrock kid

timing issue

1. Something bad

2. Perhaps

3. Likely

Deal with your drunken mess before you end up in a bigger mess. ;)
look, I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but how are things like this timed? In other words, would the authorities actively seek out a warrant that was issued months/years ago? Or are they more inclined to pursue recent warrants/scofflaws?

CdwJava

look, I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but how are things like this timed? In other words, would the authorities actively seek out a warrant that was issued months/years ago? Or are they more inclined to pursue recent warrants/scofflaws?
Much of it is happenstance. If a warrant has been issued for you, you will likely be arrested if contacted by the police again in the future but it is unlikely they will come knocking on your door on a regular basis if at all.

But, yes, they CAN show up at home and work and might try and track you down.

Plus, it is possible your name might get published in a local newspaper as a wanted subject. Having a warrant can also result in loss of employment, loss of access to many government backed loans and public assistance, etc.

Take care of this or continue to live life looking over your shoulder wondering if today will be the day.

shamrock kid

Bench Warrant

Much of it is happenstance. If a warrant has been issued for you, you will likely be arrested if contacted by the police again in the future but it is unlikely they will come knocking on your door on a regular basis if at all.

But, yes, they CAN show up at home and work and might try and track you down.

Plus, it is possible your name might get published in a local newspaper as a wanted subject. Having a warrant can also result in loss of employment, loss of access to many government backed loans and public assistance, etc.

Take care of this or continue to live life looking over your shoulder wondering if today will be the day.
That's basically how I figured it would work. The main reason I ask, is cause I remember a kid in college walking out his front door and being arrested on the spot for not paying tickets. He was from a rich town, so maybe local police had a great budget...

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If the department involved has a "warrant squad" of some sort their primary job is to pick people up on warrants. If it's a slow month then you just might find them knocking on your door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">