• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dwi laws between states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaclov1202

I got a dwi in cheektowaga,NY and am a resident of mn. I need to know how this will affect me in mn depending on if I am guilty of a dwi or a dwai

Last edited:

paguy88

I got a dwi in cheektowaga,NY and am a resident of mn. I need to know how this will affect me in mn depending on if I am guilty of a dwi or a dwai
it could...

driver compact is where states and I believe that 46 states are part of it.. I am not sure if Mn and NY are one of the 46 that comply.

that said if you get convited it is possible that your state may also suspend your DL...

others on this site will have more specific info as to what NY and MN do...

also is this your first DUI?

zaclov1202

it could...

driver compact is where states and I believe that 46 states are part of it.. I am not sure if Mn and NY are one of the 46 that comply.

that said if you get convited it is possible that your state may also suspend your DL...

others on this site will have more specific info as to what NY and MN do...

also is this your first DUI?
yeah its my 1st dwi

FlyingRon

You will be tried and convicted in NY. Your driving privileges will be suspended there (90 days for DWAI, 6 mos for DI) They will notify MN. MN will also suspend your privileges. You will pay a lot of money, need to do whatever NY requires to get reinstated and then do the same in MN. Getting an out of state DUI is a pain in the butt.
It can also make getting hardship licenses during the suspension period difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">