• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI,transferring probation between states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbovae

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I live in Connecticut, and recently married a man who was living in New York when he was arrested for a second DWI. He lost his license for 3 years,did 30 days of community service, and has served two years of the five years probation. He has a GPS and breatholizer in his car, and must report to his probation officer twice a month. He has not had any problems with his probation. We would like to know if it is possible to change his probation from New York to Connecticut so we may live together as a married couple. Do you know how we would do this? Thank you.

FlyingRon

He might get the probation transferred, but the drivers license concessions are generally harder to do. If you don't mind driving him around.

Note, that he needs to apply to whoever manages his probation BEFORE you do this. It is at the discretion of both the corrections departments in both states. They're disinclined to give retroactive concessions to absconders.

You could always move to NY

irish77

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I live in Connecticut, and recently married a man who was living in New York when he was arrested for a second DWI. He lost his license for 3 years,did 30 days of community service, and has served two years of the five years probation. He has a GPS and breatholizer in his car, and must report to his probation officer twice a month. He has not had any problems with his probation. We would like to know if it is possible to change his probation from New York to Connecticut so we may live together as a married couple. Do you know how we would do this? Thank you.
was the 3 year loss mandatory in NY for a 2nd DUI?

mbovae

Irish77-Yes, I think the 3 year is mandatory in New York.

FlyingRon-Thank you for your advice. I didn't consider that Connecticut would deny my husband a license if his probation was transferred from New York. Is there any way we can be sure he will be able to receive another Connecticut license before we start the transfer? We both work full time and driving together is not an option logistically.

xylene

Facts

Conecticut does not have to accept your husbands probation

Worse:
New York does not have to release him.

They probably will not look well on this release request as DWI is a highly politicized crime in NY.

Your moving to NY may be more feasible and cost effective.

Also, realize multiple DWI is a sign of chemical dependency. Mind yourself that you are not enabling.

irish77

Irish77-Yes, I think the 3 year is mandatory in New York.

FlyingRon-Thank you for your advice. I didn't consider that Connecticut would deny my husband a license if his probation was transferred from New York. Is there any way we can be sure he will be able to receive another Connecticut license before we start the transfer? We both work full time and driving together is not an option logistically.
Sorry, was there an accident involved? 3 years seems like a long time, but I don't know much about NY's penalties.

mbovae

irish77- no, there was no auto accident. Just a DWI.

Tamar- Thank you for your thoughts and best wishes. I'm hoping for the best, too. We meet with probation tomorrow.....

xylene- Thank you for your advice also. It would be difficult to move to NY; I love CT and own a home here. I have a great job, too. Aside from that, my husband is from CT and was only living in NY temporarily. He does not want to live in New York.

xylene

The more I read this whining...

He does not want to live in New York.
For the duration of his sentence, his freedoms to act independently on his wishes are severely restricted.

I am sure there is some reason why you and your husband are living apart that goes beyond not wanting to sell a house.

The legal reality is NY and CT both must be okay with the transfer, this will cost money, indeed probably more money than a move.

You could lease your house, that is also an easy option to consider as you do not want to liquidate.

Basically, I think you are punishing husband yourself with this controlling behavior. If you don't want to be with your husband, divorce him.

People living in near poverty move to small towns to be near the PRISON their husband will be in for decades.

You are unwilling to move (to an adjacent state no less) to reunite with your probationer husband. Hardly pulling on my sympathy strings with your loyalty.

This is how the justice system is going to react to your request, and no they will not care about your love of CT or how much husband wants out of the state that has him on a felony.

Also, CT is not a big state. How bout y'all live in westchester and then commute.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

xylene

call dr. phil xylene. don't waste our time posting this on here.
Yeah the justice system is going to want answers to these issues.

Claiming a 'need' to move to be together is not going to impress any PO or judge when one second of critical examination demolishes the rationale.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take it under close advisement. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">