• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Experts... yes or no?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jl66mercedes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Field sobriety awaiting response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friend, blew a 2/10th's over the legal limit in the breathalyzer machine.... that is not much, however, I realize it is illegal. What is your opinion on hiring a field sobriety expert? he looked fine in the video, looked like a pretty solid pass... however, an attorney feels the officer did not perform/execute the tests correctly. My friend is unsure if he should obtain this expert
due to the breathalzyer is over the limit. Please advise...

Any thoughts on a breathalzyer expert? please give details and an average cost for this expert opinon/report, etc.....

thank you

2/10ths over is real close and you only need 1 juror to say possibly not guilty.
There are a lot of things that can make the breath show more than the BAC. Bad teeth, burping.... Happens all the time.

Being that close and having the expert on hand with may also sway the DA. I've seen DWI's dropped for small errors.
How's the lawyers record for beating DWI's?
Is he deposing the officers?

If your friend can afford it, and it makes the difference from having a DWI on his record then I'd have to say listen to the lawyer. Your friend may not have been over the legal limit.

CdwJava

He is probably looking at between $7,500 and $10,000 for an expert defense ... assuming FL DUI attorney's rates are similar to ours in CA. Unless the errors are sufficient enough to cause the DA to dismiss or reduce the charges so he is willing to deal, he will be spending a pretty penny.

He should probably start asking, "How much?" in addition to the attorney's success rate at trial.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">