• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tags On Parked Car After OVI / DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

champofthesun

I live in Ohio and was convicted of an OVI (first) in July 2009. I was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 87 of which I did not serve as I took a 3 day class. I currently have 24/7 privileges via an Interlock, which I have never failed and have always had checked/updated on time.

My license plate tags expired in Feb 2010. I didn't have the money to pay for them so I just didn't drive the car. I thought it was okay to do that but I was wrong. Anyway, it was parked on the street and I got a ticket for the expired tags.

I have since gotten my tags updated. Everything else.. license, registration, insurance, etc, is/was up to date and valid.

Will this have any effect on the prior OVI? I want to go ahead and just pay the fine and mail the ticket in, but I will consider fighting it if there is a chance they will take away my license completely or make me serve the 87 days. The OVI and the expired tags are from different counties if that is relevant.

Can they use this against the prior or can I just pay the fine and move on?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

I live in Ohio and was convicted of an OVI (first) in July 2009. I was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 87 of which I did not serve as I took a 3 day class. I currently have 24/7 privileges via an Interlock, which I have never failed and have always had checked/updated on time.

My license plate tags expired in Feb 2010. I didn't have the money to pay for them so I just didn't drive the car. I thought it was okay to do that but I was wrong. Anyway, it was parked on the street and I got a ticket for the expired tags.

I have since gotten my tags updated. Everything else.. license, registration, insurance, etc, is/was up to date and valid.

Will this have any effect on the prior OVI? I want to go ahead and just pay the fine and mail the ticket in, but I will consider fighting it if there is a chance they will take away my license completely or make me serve the 87 days. The OVI and the expired tags are from different counties if that is relevant.

Can they use this against the prior or can I just pay the fine and move on?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

it's a non-moving ticket. different court. not a criminal charge. you're doing good. congratulations. keep it up! :)

champofthesun

Cool, thanks. I just mailed it in. This has all happened to me at a very young age so I am trying to turn it all around. I realize I use "happened to me" very liberally there as this of course was all my own doing.. but..

Anyway, had I been driving, would that be considered a moving violation and/or be criminal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">