• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradited for DUI in foreign country?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarkBryan

Hello!

I believe this is not the right place for extradition laws but I could not find anything related.

Hypothetically, if a US citizen that is a citizen of another country (Dual citizen) commit a DUI, gets convicted in this other country (Lets say in Europe), and gets sentenced to 20 days in jail. Would the US extradite this US citizen whom is also a citizen of the country of where the person was convicted?

This country in Europe has a very slow justice system which would conflict with this person future plans. To get a DUI case hearing with a judge it normally takes up to 2 - 5 years. If this person was studying in the US, this person would not want to suddenly get extradited back to the country which has a justice system that does not function properly. Just to mention, this country has the highest possible sentence of 21 years in jail for first degree murder. 4 years in Jail for attempted murder under especially aggravating circumstances.

Lets say a man in his late 20's stabs a 15 year old teenager 19 times, the kid barely survives, this man whom attempted to murder this kid got sentenced only 4 years in Jail due to the unstable justice system this country in Europe.

So in this person interests it would be under no favor to him to be extradited from the US as a US citizen while studying in the US just to do a 20 days house arrest sentence in this other country this US citizen has a citizenship from. It would ruin this person's full year semesters. This person is not interested to wait in the European country for several years just to get a conviction that will give this person a 20 - 50 days sentence which will most likely take place in this person's own house (house arrest)

Appreciate any replies to this thread. If this thread is posted in the wrong section then i ask the administrator to just move this thread to the right section.

Thanks!

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hello!

I believe this is not the right place for extradition laws but I could not find anything related.

Hypothetically, if a US citizen that is a citizen of another country (Dual citizen) commit a DUI, gets convicted in this other country (Lets say in Europe), and gets sentenced to 20 days in jail. Would the US extradite this US citizen whom is also a citizen of the country of where the person was convicted?

This country in Europe has a very slow justice system which would conflict with this person future plans. To get a DUI case hearing with a judge it normally takes up to 2 - 5 years. If this person was studying in the US, this person would not want to suddenly get extradited back to the country which has a justice system that does not function properly. Just to mention, this country has the highest possible sentence of 21 years in jail for first degree murder. 4 years in Jail for attempted murder under especially aggravating circumstances.

Lets say a man in his late 20's stabs a 15 year old teenager 19 times, the kid barely survives, this man whom attempted to murder this kid got sentenced only 4 years in Jail due to the unstable justice system this country in Europe.

So in this person interests it would be under no favor to him to be extradited from the US as a US citizen while studying in the US just to do a 20 days house arrest sentence in this other country this US citizen has a citizenship from. It would ruin this person's full year semesters. This person is not interested to wait in the European country for several years just to get a conviction that will give this person a 20 - 50 days sentence which will most likely take place in this person's own house (house arrest)

Appreciate any replies to this thread. If this thread is posted in the wrong section then i ask the administrator to just move this thread to the right section.

Thanks!
Generally, extradition decisions are made based on the severity of the crime vs the cost of extraditing the person. It would be up to the country where the person was convicted to determine if the cost/benefit of extraditing was worth pursuing. I doubt that any state in the US would bother to attempt to extradite someone who was convicted for a DUI in that state if they were in another country, but no one here would have any idea as to what the other country would do in the reverse scenario.

The US however is generally going to comply with an extradition request from another country unless it would result in serious injustice (ie someone would be executed in the foreign country for a crime that would be a relatively petty crime here).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">