• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed interlock and passed a few min later but was not drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

realer

What is the name of your state? TX

This morning I blew a VIOL (according to my records this indicaes a HIGH LEVEL of intoxication), but I did not have anything to drink. I did forget to rinse my mouth before , but I never do that anyways. I hardly ever use mouthwash either but I have been using it more b/c of a canker sore. That has to be the reason right? BC after I failed I drank some water and gargled it and like 3 min later I passed. I have never had a violation before (in 10 months) and did not think anything besides drinking could make it a violation, it didnt even warn me or anything. I knew i wasnt drinking so I took it again as soon as i rinsed. Am i going to get in trouble for this???

Sweetiepi

Driving really isn't for everyone. There are people who live their whole lives without ever getting behind the wheel. If you device is failing, and you weren't drinking...perhaps its a sign. City life really isn't so bad.

realer

Driving really isn't for everyone. There are people who live their whole lives without ever getting behind the wheel. If you device is failing, and you weren't drinking...perhaps its a sign. City life really isn't so bad.

A sign? Are you serious or are you implicating that I am lying? I passed the test and several rolling tests drivin all around town. It was the first one that failed and subsequent tests were 3-5 min later, after rinsing my mouth. I would appreciate a serious answer. Maybe driving isnt for everyone, but that didnt answer my question. Thanks though I guess.

justalayman

I can't help you much as I know very little about those things but from what I understand, there are reasons for a false positive, which is what you have seemed to experience.

Hang around a bit. Hopefully one of the more informed posters will catch wind of your thread.

Carl, where are you when you are needed???

Sweetiepi

A sign? Are you serious or are you implicating that I am lying? I passed the test and several rolling tests drivin all around town. It was the first one that failed and subsequent tests were 3-5 min later, after rinsing my mouth. I would appreciate a serious answer. Maybe driving isnt for everyone, but that didnt answer my question. Thanks though I guess.

No no...never would I imply you are lying about anything. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to offend you in anyway.

I do not know anything about this device that is installed in your vehicle. I also am not being light in humor, but only providing a little of the many things i've learned in observation interlaced with education. I do hope whatever happens in your sitiuation, that it works itself out. What I meant by a "sign" is that perhaps we don't always see that there are other options.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

It is very possible that a person with a long drinking career may not metabolize alcohol as quickly as he or she used to. If a heavy drinker tied one on and went to bed, he could possibly still get a positive reading in the morning. In your case though, after rinsing you got through it. I'd report the glitch to my PO and tell him or her to check the timing of the second blow.

realer

All was fine, i worried for nothing. I got my interlock take off too, yay! only 6 months to go with no more drinking:D

CavemanLawyer

Its no glitch, the machine did exactly what it was supposed to do, detect alcohol on your breath. Residual alcohol in your breath can very easily result in a high positive result on the intoxilyzer or interlock machine. This can absolutely happen from using mouthwash. The intoxilyzer machine actually specifies a 15 min waiting period before taking the test to ensure that all residual alcohol on one's breath has dissipated. I assume the interlock manual has a similar provision.

A single positive reading typically would not trigger a motion to revoke anyway, but it sounds like everything worked out for you just fine.

mommyof4

All was fine, i worried for nothing. I got my interlock take off too, yay! only 6 months to go with no more drinking:D
This is what you are excited about? Really?

You know, I used to have a friend who had alcohol issues. The day he beat an intoxicated manslaughter rap, he picked up a case of beer to celebrate. Pathetic. He didn't get off the second time. He's now in prison for killing a couple the night before their wedding when he passed out at the wheel.:mad:

Maybe you should consider the fact that drinking got you into this situation in the first place and just stay away from the booze.

realer

^^^^ uh yeah, im excited that I dont have to blow into a device anymore, Im excited that I fufilled my obligation as far as that was concerned. Im excited that my life is moving forward in a positive direction. Im excited that I will be completely off probation in less than 6 months, wtf is wrong with that? I have done nothing wrong, followed orders to a tee and will NEVER drink and drive again. SO thanks for your post that helped me and my situaiton in no way whatsoever. Once again, my situation is solved and yes I am damn happy that all of this is almost over and I am not ashamed to say it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">