• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Field test vs Station test: Which Counts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robhat

Hi, I got pulled over for a 1st offense last night in Ohio. I failed the breath test at the scene (.85) and passed the breath test at the station less than an hr later (.75). In situations like these which result counts?

CdwJava

Hi, I got pulled over for a 1st offense last night in Ohio. I failed the breath test at the scene (.85) and passed the breath test at the station less than an hr later (.75). In situations like these which result counts?
I believe the law is pretty consistent throughout the nation, but it should be the test at the station that will be the "official" test result. Your attorney can probably tell you which it is.

Note that it is possible to be arrested and prosecuted for having a BAC under .08. If you are impaired by drugs and/or alcohol, you are not supposed to operate a motor vehicle. SO, you did not "pass" the breath test at the station, you only blew a lower BAC.

- Carl

robhat

Thanks for the quick info.

Right, I know I didn't "pass"....meaning I still am going to be charged with something.

The officer said that possibly the judge would lower it to a wreckless op (or something of that nautre) since the 2nd test was under the legal limit.

I wasn't planning on getting a lawyer though since I'm already paying out so much money in impound fees/ticket fees/court fees....and I can't really even afford those.

CdwJava

My state has a similar "wet reckless" option for offense at or near .08.

It might be a good idea to at least inquire with an attorney because it might not be something that you can negotiate - I just don't know. It's probably better to be safe than sorry.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">