• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tflip21

Summary
John Doe was arrested for operating while intoxicate - bac .150 on 5/16 at 0147 hrs after he was pulled over in the intersection of two roads for speeding.

OBSERVATIOn
On 5/16 at 0136hrs while working another unit with another officer I arrived at the intersection of two roads to assist officer A with a traffic stop. Officer A informed me that he had pulled over a car for speeding after he observed a significant body roll(high rate of speed) of the suspect vehicle when it was speeding through a curve. The suspect vehicle reportedly stopped in a middle of the intersection when officer A drove behind him without his overhead lights on. Suspect Doe then reportedly drove at a very slow speed to the parking lot where Officer A finally turned his overhead lights on. Officer A also informed me that Doe had already admitted to have been drinking prior to my arrival. Officer A reported that he stooped his Portable breath test when it indicated Doe'd BAC going over .140

I saw Doe sitting in the driver's sat with the door open. I asked him to walk out of the car. He had glassy, red, blood shot eyes. I detected a strong odor of alcoholic beverage on his breath. I asked him to stand in front of my patrol car and I explained the he would be performing a sobriety test (SFST. Doe was slurring his speech. He seemed uncoordinated getting out of his car.

I asked doe if he had any medical conditions, including if he was epileptic, diabetic, or wearing contacts; he responded no to all of the questions. I asked Doe to touch the tip of my pen with his index finger before performing the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test. He first touched it with his ring finger, and I asked him again to touch it with he ring finger, and I asked him again to touch it with his index finger. He then touched it with his middle finger, and I asked him again to touch it with his index finger. He then touched it with his index finger.

I observed nystagmus in Doe's both eyes during HGN

I then started to explain the walk-and-turn test, Doe asked if he could find a level surface. I told him we could find a more level surface to do it, and he state he needed a more leveled surface. Doe was then transported to ST. Joseph County Jail's garage to finish the rest of the sobriety test. I placed Doe in handcuffs (double locked and checked for proper tightness) before transporting him.

At the St. Joe county jail garage. I continued to explain the 9 step walk-and-turn test after Doe was released from the handcuffs. Doe failed the test by starting the test before he was told to do so, taking more than 9 steps in both directions, turning improperly, not counting aloud, not taking proper heel-to-toe steps, and swaying.

The next test performed was the one leg stand test. Doe passed this test.

With the above information I read Doe the implied consent warning off my car, and he refused to take the chemical test. He was then handcuffed and transported to memorial hospital to draw blood at 0207hrs.

Officer B arrived at the hospital with a warrant for a blood sample signed by a judge. Doe's blood sample was drawn by a nurse . The sample was packaged into the blood draw kit, seal marked and submitted to SBPD.

Doe was transported to St. Joe County jail at 0407 hrs where he was booed for operating while intoxicated refusal. Doe indicated a BAC of .170 when jail staff gave him a PBT Doe was given a copy of the search warrant. His vehicle was left in the parking lot he parked in before the traffic stop.

From what I can recall all the information it accurate. The chemical test i refused to take was another portable breath test right after I was finished with the sobriety test. I refused by saying I had already taken a breath test and I wasn't going to take another one. They also took two blood sample at the hospital. The warrant said they could take a sample not multiple samples. Before they took the second sample I said I do not consent to this. When I was booked I said I could pay my bail once my BAC was under .05. I blew a .04 sometime after 11 am. They did not let me pay my bail until 8PM because they were "busy". Even though one time they took me out of the holding cell to start the process of getting me out. Once I told them I was going to pay my own bail they just sent me back.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Understand that even in the best of circumstances the pending case you're talking about only will invalidate CRIMINAL penalties for the refusal. It likely will not bar any administrative sanctions for such nor will it change the fact that you are guilty of your underlying DUI. Even if the second blood test was invalid, it sounds like they have plenty enough evidence to sustain a conviction on the DUI.

As Lee says, you need a lawyer big time. This is not something you're going to be able to handle pro se. Your case even as related here is full of holes (either you typed wrong, or you are in error as to what transpired, or you're still drunk). You need a lawyer who can take a neutral and dispassionate look at the evidence and decide the best defense.

I suggest in addition to the lawyer you consult a medical professional about your alcoholism. You have all the diagnostic signs of a substance abuser.

tflip21

I have already already hired a lawyer. I already figured I would be convicted of a dui. I was speeding and pulled over into a parking because I figured I would be going to jail. As to the holes could you point some out as I said I was paraphrasing what the police report says and was just trying to keep it short. I know I like to drink heavily and have some alcoholic tendencies when I'm drinking. But I don't drink everyday maybe a few of times a week. Even then I'm not getting hammered like I was that day. It's usually just 2-3 drinks for a night cap.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have already already hired a lawyer. I already figured I would be convicted of a dui. I was speeding and pulled over into a parking because I figured I would be going to jail. As to the holes could you point some out as I said I was paraphrasing what the police report says and was just trying to keep it short. I know I like to drink heavily and have some alcoholic tendencies when I'm drinking. But I don't drink everyday maybe a few of times a week. Even then I'm not getting hammered like I was that day. It's usually just 2-3 drinks for a night cap.
You would never have been released with a .4BAC. You wouldn't be conscious. You don't have to be released at a .04 -- that BAC doesn't mean you are able to drive. It just is below the per se limit. Should I continue?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My arrest occurred in south bend, Indiana, This is from the police report paraphrased in my own words for shortening purposes. i was pulled over at 1:26 am for speeding and stopping in an intersection when the officer pulled up behind me without his lights on. I pulled into a parking lot slowly when the officer turned on his lights. He asked if I had been drinking I answered yes. He had me get out of my car and take a breathalyzed I blew over .14 when he stopped the test. Another officer (the arresting officer) arrived at the scene. I was sitting in my car with the door open. He asked me to walk out towards him I had glassy, red blood shot eyes. He detected strong odor of alcohol on my breath. He told me I would be performing a sobriety test my speech was slurred and I "seemed" uncoordinated getting out of my car. He asked me to touch the pen with my index finger I touched it with my ring finger first then my middle then my index. He asked me to do the step wall and turn test. I asked for a more level ground so they took me to the garage of the police station. I started the test before I was asked to took more than 9 steps both ways, turned improperly, not counting aloud, not taking proper heel to toe steps, and swaying. I passed the one leg test. The officer then read the implied consent card. I was then asked to take another breathalyzer(PBT) which I refused by saying I'm not going to take another breathalyzer. I was transported to the hospital a little after 2am. The warrant to get my blood sample came around 3:45 am. They took my blood once and put it in the wrong test. They came back for another sample. Then they took me to the jail where I took another breathalyzer with a bac of .17 around 4 am. This was another PBT not the intoxilyzer. The next day sometime after 11:30 I blew into the breathalyzer and blew a .4 which I could have been released but they would not let me pay my own bail until 8 pm for no reason other than because they could. I was brought up to the counter one time to start my processing but when I told them I wanted to it my own bail and my card was in my wallet they just sent me back to the holding cell. Sometime in the afternoon I was handed my police report, probable cause, and search warrant and talked to a judge. My case report states I was arrested at 1:47 am for operating while intoxicated >.150(refusal). I am being charged with a dui and refusal of chemical test. I'm just wondering what I can expect for a first time offense. I was also wondering about them getting a second blood sample, the warrant stays that could obtain "a sample" not multiple samples. I know the Supreme Court is also looking into implied consent laws and from what I've been reading they are leaning towards the side that says they are unconstitutional.
Interesting.

tflip21

I meant .04 with the bac they require you to be under .05 to leave. I may have typos it what I posted last night. It was late and I suck at typing with my phone.

Silverplum

I meant .04 with the bac they require you to be under .05 to leave. I may have typos it what I posted last night. It was late and I suck at typing with my phone.
Oh. Well, it's your problem, and if it's not important to you to be clear in order to get solid advice, I really don't know what to say. *shrug* Keep calm and garble on.

tflip21

Your right it is my problem. I'm just looking for someone to weigh in on a similar situation and maybe what kind of defense my laywer may have. And I obliviously didn't blow a .4 7hrs after I had been put in jail. I just forgot a 0 and if you're going to be so hung up on a little typo like that then you should agree the officers shouldn't have been able to take a second sample because he warrant does say a sample.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your right it is my problem. I'm just looking for someone to weigh in on a similar situation and maybe what kind of defense my laywer may have. And I obliviously didn't blow a .4 7hrs after I had been put in jail. I just forgot a 0 and if you're going to be so hung up on a little typo like that then you should agree the officers shouldn't have been able to take a second sample because he warrant does say a sample.
We have no clue what you signed or consented to regarding samples. You want to tell the story, you need to tell the truth. Typos are not little things when it changes what you are saying immensely.

tflip21

I consented to the first breathalyzer where the officer stopped the test when I was blowing over a .140. I did not consent to a second saying a I had already taken a breathalyzer I'm not going to take another (right after the field test). They obtained a warrant took my blood. When they came back for the second sample I said I do not consent to this and they told me they already had a warrant so it doesn't matter.

TigerD

I consented to the first breathalyzer where the officer stopped the test when I was blowing over a .140. I did not consent to a second saying a I had already taken a breathalyzer I'm not going to take another (right after the field test). They obtained a warrant took my blood. When they came back for the second sample I said I do not consent to this and they told me they already had a warrant so it doesn't matter.
1. A PBT is not a breathalyzer.
2. They had a warrant for the first blood sample. The second sample may not be covered by that warrant. It is an issue that is worth exploring.
3. Just because they had a warrant to draw blood doesn't mean they had a warrant to search that blood. It is worth exploring.
4. You basically negated the blood issue by consenting a breath test the next day. It is a simple mathematical regression from your .04 to the BAC at the time of arrest.

Get an attorney and listen to him or her.

TD

quincy

You must take all tests that the officer asks you to take or it will be considered a refusal, although for the blood test a warrant is required.

See Indiana Code Annotated 9-30-6-1: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2015/ic/titles/009/articles/030/chapters/006/

FlyingRon

\]
3. Just because they had a warrant to draw blood doesn't mean they had a warrant to search that blood. It is worth exploring.
Chortle. Once you take something from a warrant be it a blood sample or a computer or whatever, you don't need any further permission to investigate it.
Blood doesn't have a right to privacy under the constitution, only people.

quincy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">