• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First DUI at age 19

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaintKing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Long story short... Got my first DUI last Saturday night. I've already got a hold of a lawyer and retained him. I'm currently a sophomore in college and about to get my associates degree and move on to a 4 year college. I know I messed up and it sucks I learned the hard way. I am just thankful that I did not kill anyone or myself. In a sad way I think this is what I needed. I was in dire need of a wakeup call. I just wish it was not on these terms. My concern is that I have a good job and was going to be able to transfer my job when I relocate this summer. I have no problem paying my fines and attending the classes required and etc... I deserve those. My concern is losing my license without being able to even attain a hard license that will allow me to go to and from school and work. Losing my license entirely will cause me to lose my job. Which will in turn delay my move to the 4 year college.

Any ideas? I've discussed it with my lawyer but, since he has not received any of my paperwork he does not know if I have any defense. What he basically said to me was... That I should have no problem getting a diversion in city court which would be the hard license, classes, and etc... But, in district court he told me that if the cop shows up then I have almost zero hope of keeping even a hard license.

I just feel that I truly deserve a second chance since I am trying to make something of myself. I think a year total suspension is ludacris when am I am trying to support myself and go to school full time.

Thanks all,

Kyle

Last edited:

BigMistakeFl

This was your first DUI, right? What's your driving record like? Ever been cited for causing an accident, injuries, etc?

Diversion might be offered to you, and could be a great way to move through this. It means you still take DUI classes, Victim Impact Panel, alcohol evaluations, etc. And you will not only NOT be permitted to get another DUI for the next year, you will not be permitted to drink alcohol at all, nor go into bars, etc for a year. And if you blow any of the conditions, you'll be back in court. With diversion, you don't have a conviction on your record, but if you ever get arrested for DUI again, it counts as your second DUI.

You're on the right track, work with your lawyer and make sure you appear respectful and remorseful, and be prepared to pay fines and be busy with your penalties.

PaintKing

This was your first DUI, right? What's your driving record like? Ever been cited for causing an accident, injuries, etc?

Diversion might be offered to you, and could be a great way to move through this. It means you still take DUI classes, Victim Impact Panel, alcohol evaluations, etc. And you will not only NOT be permitted to get another DUI for the next year, you will not be permitted to drink alcohol at all, nor go into bars, etc for a year. And if you blow any of the conditions, you'll be back in court. With diversion, you don't have a conviction on your record, but if you ever get arrested for DUI again, it counts as your second DUI.

You're on the right track, work with your lawyer and make sure you appear respectful and remorseful, and be prepared to pay fines and be busy with your penalties.
Yes, this is my first dui. I have a clean driving record and I've never been in any accidents.

My concern is that my lawyer was saying that city court should be fairly easy to get a diversion. But, I am going to have to go to two courts, one being for criminal and the other for civil. The district court, or civil court, as explained to me, the only thing they decide is on if I get a license. He made it sound as if the cop shows up to district then I have no chance at keeping my license in any form at all. If thats the case, whats the point of all the diversion procedures decided in city court if I will have to lose my license for the year with no exceptions after the district court?

I guess what I'm really asking is... If there is anything I can do to obtain a hard license or a restricted license through the district court even if the cop shows up to court?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

PaintKing

Sorry if I seem a little clueless. This is all new to me. I am not familiar with any of it or how the city and district court work.

swrdmbo

Ludicrous? Ludicrous is drinking UNDERAGE and getting a DUI and then thinking everything ought to go your way because you have a clean driving record ( you are only 19) and you are trying to make something of your life.

YOU BROKE SEVERAL VERY IMPORTANT LAWS!!! There should be consequences!
If you keep up this attitude it will be interesting to see how this all works out for you.

PaintKing

Ludicrous? Ludicrous is drinking UNDERAGE and getting a DUI and then thinking everything ought to go your way because you have a clean driving record ( you are only 19) and you are trying to make something of your life.

YOU BROKE SEVERAL VERY IMPORTANT LAWS!!! There should be consequences!
If you keep up this attitude it will be interesting to see how this all works out for you.
Who are you to judge me? I don't know where you are getting the impression that I think I should get off free b/c of a clean driving record. I was simply replying to the other guys response. If everyone was perfect there wouldn't be a need to have any laws. We could debate all day about right or wrong. I know what I did what was wrong. I'm glad you have nothing better to do but come on here where people seek advice and use it as a power trip to tell me I should serve the most severe punishment. At the end of the day I know God has forgiven me. So, I know can continue to live with myself win or lose. Enjoy your weekend.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Who are you to judge me? I don't know where you are getting the impression that I think I should get off free b/c of a clean driving record. I was simply replying to the other guys response. If everyone was perfect there wouldn't be a need to have any laws. We could debate all day about right or wrong. I know what I did what was wrong. I'm glad you have nothing better to do but come on here where people seek advice and use it as a power trip to tell me I should serve the most severe punishment. At the end of the day I know God has forgiven me. So, I know can continue to live with myself win or lose. Enjoy your weekend.
Yes but don't expect the judge to forgive that easily nor should you expect the JUDGE not to judge you. Understand? Your arrogance is coming through. The people here are trying to educate you.

PaintKing

I understand that. All I'm trying to figure out is if I have any real shot of obtaining a hard license or will I most likely lose my license for a year.

cyjeff

You said that the penalty was "ludacris" in your first post.

There is no debate.

You did wrong. Now, let's figure out how to make the best of it.

Oh, and unless you have a hotline to God, let's not suppose what He thinks of you just yet, okay?

cyjeff

I understand that. All I'm trying to figure out is if I have any real shot of obtaining a hard license or will I most likely lose my license for a year.
I give your chances of losing your license for the year to approach 90%.

The judge will try to teach you a hard lesson.

Especially if you spout off in court about how all of this is "ludacris".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">