• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Dui in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dullbuckeyes

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was arrested for DUI a couple of nights ago. I blew a .18, and then a .16. I bumped the car in front of me, no injuries, no damage, and pulled over. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as costs and damage related to my license, insurance, etc.?

FlyingRon

Administrative suspension for 180 days, possibility of a restricted license after 30.

Insurance will go up. SR-22 likely required.

The judge may suspend you for much longer (if you have even non-DUI traffic convictions prior).

Higher than .15 is bad, the sanctions will be higher. Depending on the county, you may spend some jail time (5 days). That make it a class A misdemeanor. Could be up to $500 and a year in jail. If you don't get jail time, expect 30 days of community service.

There is a rarely used diversion in some areas.

You need a lawyer in the COUNTY in which you are charged.

dullbuckeyes

Thank you for responding. I have never been convicted of any traffic violations or anything else for that matter. I haven't had even a speeding ticket in 15 years.

The class A misdemeanor is exactly what I am charged with. Is there any hope for pleading to a lessor charge?

Will a oui 'conviction' have a huge detrimental effect on applying for jobs?

Does a hardship license allow for driving to the alcohol classes that I assume I will have to attend? What about visits to the doctor, groceries, etc.

Thanks in advance for any response given.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Unfortunately, our past clean record does not have much bearing on the case against us for the crime of DUI or OWI. Your BAC is not "on the line", so I wouldn't count on any reduction. You will most likely face first offense penalties and a conviction. Yes, it will affect future jobs because you will now have a record.

You can apply for a hardship license, which really means going to work, school, church, grocery store, etc. You can research that further here on your state's license site:
http://www.in.gov/bmv/about/

your "first" dui and hopefully your last. least for anyyone else who might be in your path. innocent people have been killed or lamed by drunk drivers. it doesn't matter that this was the first time you were caught. wish you the best and we all hope that you have learned your lesson.:cool:

dullbuckeyes

Thanks for the advice. It goes without saying (yet, I will) that I made a horrible mistake. It could have been a lot worse. I am not asking for sympathy or even a way out of taking responsibility. It was my 'first' oui, and it will most certainly be my last. That was the longest 20 hours of my life and I will never wear the wrist jewelry again.

I have never gone a day without insurance for my auto, and I never will. I will pay the higher premiums and do whatever it takes to climb out of the cavern that I so carelessly tossed myself into.

I intend to come out the other side a better person and only intended to ask what to expect as I have never had close contact with this kind of activity.

Most likely, you are looking at a sentence of time served, assuming that you were in jail at least overnight, and at least 3 years of probation, which you will have to pay for. Your license will be suspended for a minimum of 6 months. You will have to have an SR-22 from your insurance company, as well as a letter from the court saying that your suspension is over to get it back. The BMV will charge you a re-instatement fee. Also, if you have your own attorney, or even a PD, you will have to pay for that.

Much cheaper to have taken a cab in the first place, don't you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">