• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First DWI | Need to going out of US soon?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firstdwiever

Hello,

I just got an "First time DWI offender BAC .08" 2 days in Houston TX. My record is clean and this is a first time DWI. I also got bailed bond out. My court day sets on May 10.

The problem that I will need to go out of US back to home country in end of May or June cause of my dad is very weak now (as I already had the ticket on May 4 and I can change/ delay to end of May or June but have to go) so I won't able to take any probation or defensive driving class for the moment.

I can try afford to pay the full fine and loosing my driver license for one year or whatsoever but have to go back home country see my dad for the last time.

Should I spend money for lawyer to help me on this ?

Or just go to court and admit that I drank one or two beer and say "no contest". Explain the situation with judge that I need to go and see my dad since he very sick and can go away anytime soon. And I'm willing pay fine, loosing 1 year DL, willing take probation, community services, trial, etc later on. Would the judge accept ?

Any other option for me to close the case asap to going of country soon ?

dave33

You should get a lawyer. With your language barrier you will have a very hard time being heard. Also with the scheduling conflict you can explain the situation and work s omething out. If you have a p.d. you may even have a hard time getting him on the phone to tell him there is a problem.

fred8u

lawyer can definitely postpone, might be worth it because you know you need the time

Hello,

I just got an "First time DWI offender BAC .08" 2 days in Houston TX. My record is clean and this is a first time DWI. I also got bailed bond out. My court day sets on May 10.

The problem that I will need to go out of US back to home country in end of May or June cause of my dad is very weak now (as I already had the ticket on May 4 and I can change/ delay to end of May or June but have to go) so I won't able to take any probation or defensive driving class for the moment.

I can try afford to pay the full fine and loosing my driver license for one year or whatsoever but have to go back home country see my dad for the last time.

Should I spend money for lawyer to help me on this ?

Or just go to court and admit that I drank one or two beer and say "no contest". Explain the situation with judge that I need to go and see my dad since he very sick and can go away anytime soon. And I'm willing pay fine, loosing 1 year DL, willing take probation, community services, trial, etc later on. Would the judge accept ?

Any other option for me to close the case asap to going of country soon ?
lawyer can definitely postpone, might be worth it because you know you need the time.

firstdwiever

Hello

Thanks all for advise. I also get recommend that I should "contact the District Attorney's office for the court in question and ask them if you can plead to a lesser charge? "

So what is "District Attorney's office" and who they are?

Are they have ability help me out ?

Are they able to lesser the fine charge ?

Do I still have to go to court ?

I'm in Houston TX, Harris County and have court day on May at court #9 Which District Attorney's office should I looking for ? I google around ( houston texas District Attorney - Google Search ) but don't know where to start

Thanks

CavemanLawyer

You cannot call up the District Attorney's Office to negotiate your case. There will be a specific prosecutor assigned to your case and that prosecutor is only allowed to speak to your attorney unless you choose to represent yourself in court. You really just need to hire an attorney and let them handle this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">