• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First DWI in Wisconsin, I'm pretty lost in the process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bustedtard

Like the title said, I live in Wisconsin. I'm 21. I made the stupid mistake of having a few too many beers before driving home.

I got pulled over. The police officer said that I went over the center line once and that I was speeding. He asked me for my license, then asked me to step out of the vehicle.

I was given the count backwards from 92 to 63 test. I did count down in order, but stopped at 69. I was then told to say the months from February through October. I said them in order, but stopped at November. I had to then walk 9 steps, turn around and walk 9 steps back. I did o.k. (I just now did the same test sober and didn't do any better. I have bad balance) I then had to do the stand on one foot and count until he told me to stop. Again, I did ok. I didn't need to lift up my arms for balance or put a foot down.

I was then given the breathalyzer. I blew a .107

My car was searched, then I was taken to the hospital to get a blood test.

The arresting police officer said that since it was my first DWI, I was going to get 1 ticket (DWI). He said he could have given me 3. He also didn't have my car towed, I need to get a ride to pick it up where it is parked on the street today. The police officer told me I would get this ticket, and that would be all. But everywhere I look, it looks like I lose my license for 6 to 9 months. I've also seen things about having to go to a separate DMV hearing or something? Also, I've read about having to join AA or things like that (I don't have a drinking problem)

What is the best course of action that I can take? Do I plead no contest and sincerely apologize and let the judge know what a stupid idea it was, a lapse in judgment. The difference between the legal limit and where I was for me is 2 beers in the four hours before I drove. In 4 hours, 2 beers is not that much of a difference.

Anyways, thanks for any advice anyone can give.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Anything at or over the legal limit is per se intoxication. .081 is not a near miss.

Get a lawyer. The judge already knows you're either stupid or a psychopath.
Pleading no contest will just mean you will be found guilty just as if you plead guilty. A lawyer may be able to at least mitigate some of the sanctions against you.

Why do drunks always think they do OK during the sobriety tests. Believe me, the cop is looking at more things than your ability to hit the line during the test.

By definition you do have a drinking problem. If you didn't you'd have not driven while intoxicated when you knew it was wrong.

AA might impress the judge with your short term committment, but in the long term, it has been shown to not have any affect on the overall outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">