• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First MIP in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sirpicco

Hi guys,

I was written up for my first MIP last night in East Lansing, MI by the ELPD. Me and two of my friends, who are both 21, were driving home from taco bell. I was in the backseat. I was asked to step out of the car, and the officer said he smelled alcohol, so he asked me if I had been drinking. I figured he would use the smell of alcohol as PC anyways, so I admitted to drinking about 5 shots of liquor. I refused a breath test, was arrested, and spent the night in jail.

I refused the breath test when I first arrived at the jail as well because I was not clear on the laws, and the guys wouldn't help me out much. When they released me, I blew a .023, but the guy said that would have no impact on the MIP in court.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but when I was arrested, the officer didn't read my rights. Since I refused the breath tests, but admitted to drinking, am I still screwed? And what type of punishment am I looking at? I read that there is a special 3 month diversion program at MSU for first time MIP offenders?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">