• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offense DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maohead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I got pulled over on Friday and got charged with a DUI. I blew a .11 and I have a couple of questions.

1. How long does it usually take for the preliminary sentencing? (meaning I go on probation and lose my license)

2. What can I expect from sentencing? (first offense and it wasn't an accident)

3. How much can I expect to pay in fines and costs?

4. Do I need to get a lawyer?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I got pulled over on Friday and got charged with a DUI. I blew a .11 and I have a couple of questions.

1. How long does it usually take for the preliminary sentencing? (meaning I go on probation and lose my license)

You should definitely get a lawyer. You are assuming you will only get probation?

maohead

Well that's what the cops and other people have said. 6 months probation and a 30 day license suspension if I do ARD.

I'm hoping it's possible to not get the license suspension.

Just Blue

4. Yes get an attorney and 1,2,3 will be answered by him/her.:)

Cyno

I'm unsure the difference between laws in PA and VA where I received my DUI.. but I can give you a rundown of how things went in my case as a first offense.

They took my license away automatically for a period that should be listed on any paperwork they gave you. As far as I know, you are not allowed to drive during this time (mine was set up until my court case). During that time, I had to attend pretrial services, meet with some guy once a week until my court case, and take a few drug tests.

Then I went to court. I don't want to advise you to not get a lawyer as everyone seems to say it helps no matter the case. That said, it seems I would have been offered the same consequences regardless of having a lawyer as it was my first offense and I was apologetic. It surely wouldn't hurt to pay a few hundred dollars just to see one and ask some questions.

They sentenced me to ASAP along with a type of probation (I don't think it's normal probation as I don't have a PO and am not required to see anyone--I was just bound to a probation agreement where I promised I wouldn't break any further laws or use any substances). I also received a suspended license to which I had to apply for special insurance from my insurance company, do a lot of paperwork, apply for an interlock device, get it installed, and pay the fines to get my license reinstated. It took me around 2 months, from my court hearing, to get back on the road and I was constantly on top of it because I was losing time at work.

The actual court case fines were only around $600-650. However, they will continue to sting you after that. ASAP classes were an additional $500 (plus a $30 charge any time your classes need to be worked around due to work), the interlock device was another $600, each drug test is $80, reinstating my license was $240, my insurance went up by $70/month, and so forth.

All-in-all, the DUI itself has cost me about $8,000 (though this was over the period of 6 months). My lawyer was around $1,500-2,000 for consultation and retainment. All those charges don't include the cost of traveling to all these places, the countless cabs, getting my vehicle out of the impound, and my continuing 3-year boost in insurance costs. The consensus from people in my class is that the DUI will cost you anywhere from $6,000-12,000.

All that said, the only thing I can truly advise you on is to NOT mess up again until the entire punishment is over. I made the mistake of trying to drink in that time and managed to get myself in trouble again which resulted in more classes and another lawyer fee... putting my total up to around $15,000.. and I messed up again so it's going to keep getting higher.

I could have bought myself a new car at this point--which really puts a new perspective on the situation and my behavior.

Just Blue

I'm unsure the difference between laws in PA and VA where I received my DUI.. but I can give you a rundown of how things went in my case as a first offense.

They took my license away automatically for a period that should be listed on any paperwork they gave you. As far as I know, you are not allowed to drive during this time (mine was set up until my court case). During that time, I had to attend pretrial services, meet with some guy once a week until my court case, and take a few drug tests.

Then I went to court. I don't want to advise you to not get a lawyer as everyone seems to say it helps no matter the case. That said, it seems I would have been offered the same consequences regardless of having a lawyer as it was my first offense and I was apologetic. It surely wouldn't hurt to pay a few hundred dollars just to see one and ask some questions.

They sentenced me to ASAP along with a type of probation (I don't think it's normal probation as I don't have a PO and am not required to see anyone--I was just bound to a probation agreement where I promised I wouldn't break any further laws or use any substances). I also received a suspended license to which I had to apply for special insurance from my insurance company, do a lot of paperwork, apply for an interlock device, get it installed, and pay the fines to get my license reinstated. It took me around 2 months, from my court hearing, to get back on the road and I was constantly on top of it because I was losing time at work.

The actual court case fines were only around $600-650. However, they will continue to sting you after that. ASAP classes were an additional $500 (plus a $30 charge any time your classes need to be worked around due to work), the interlock device was another $600, each drug test is $80, reinstating my license was $240, my insurance went up by $70/month, and so forth.

All-in-all, the DUI itself has cost me about $8,000 (though this was over the period of 6 months). My lawyer was around $1,500-2,000 for consultation and retainment. All those charges don't include the cost of traveling to all these places, the countless cabs, getting my vehicle out of the impound, and my continuing 3-year boost in insurance costs. The consensus from people in my class is that the DUI will cost you anywhere from $6,000-12,000.

All that said, the only thing I can truly advise you on is to NOT mess up again until the entire punishment is over. I made the mistake of trying to drink in that time and managed to get myself in trouble again which resulted in more classes and another lawyer fee... putting my total up to around $15,000.. and I messed up again so it's going to keep getting higher.

I could have bought myself a new car at this point--which really puts a new perspective on the situation and my behavior.
Why on earth do you think you are able to assist another member with DUI issues when you had to ask others about yours? :confused:

Cyno

Why on earth do you think you are able to assist another member with DUI issues when you had to ask others about yours? :confused:
Why on earth do you feel the need to be hostile and rude via the internet? :confused:

OP simply asked questions about the process of a DUI which I have experienced and laid out so that he/she would know what to expect. I noted I don't know the difference between PA and VA procedures. I felt it was a positive thing to help out in any way that I could.. and I hope that I was, in fact, helpful.

If you bothered to read my post, you'd know that I was asking others about my DUI probation violation.

FlyingRon

A lawyer would still be advisable.

VASAP and other Virignia issues are completely different. The two states couldn't be farther apart in how they handle DUIs.

If you're accepted into ARD there isn't any "sentencing." There will likely be a pre-trial ARD intervioew. You can likely waive the preliminary hearing and go straight in front of a common pleas judge when that can be scheduled (can be a few months). The fine/costs will be somewhere between $1500 and $2000. You'll need both the DUI school and the CRN evaluation. Depending on the circumstances the (hard) suspension will be between 0-90 days. Depending on your circumstances, age, and what county, 60 days is typical. Note suspension doesn't start until you surrender your license to PENNDOT.

Isis1

geez....i got off even easier than i thought. i paid the driver's training DUI classes, $200 i think...the AA meetings (free), restricted license for 6 mos and spent 1 night in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">