• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first time dui with questions..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

symbol646

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I got pulled over the other night for speeding and got a dui. I am not sure if I should get an attorney to handle this for me or if I should just plead guilty. If I plead guilty are they going to slam me with pretty much the maximum for a first time offense. I would make a good appearance in court. Attorneys around her cost about $1500 to $2000. The fine for a dui is $300 to $1000, plus a bunch of costs. I guess I am worried about my license and possible jail time. Thanks for any help.

FlyingRon

You should be worried. You should also get a lawyer. You've got the magnitude of the fines right, but you'll typically get a day in jail. But it could be up to a year (you'll most likely have to get a year probation anyway). You'll lose your license for somewhere between 120 days (if you do the DUI school) and a year. You can get a restricted license from day one. If you are under 21 you're going to lose it for 6 mos-year and there is no restricted license. You'll also be expected to do community service.

symbol646

I understand the fines and the penalties. My question is, my attorney will pretty much have me plead not guilty then later on advise on a plea. Is the plea going to be much different than if I would have just plead guilty on my own, being a first time offender.

FlyingRon

Can not say. You will need to talk with someone familiar with the particular court you are to appear in. In general, you plead not guilty if you think there is any chance you will want to provide some kind of defense or negotiate a plea. If you plead guilty, you may be found immediately guilty and that is fairly hard to reverse (ask Senator Craig).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">