• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time MIP...No clue what to do...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzarzyck

What is the name of your state? From Washington, but MIP cited while at school in California

Recently I was cited for an MIP with a number of other kids on our school campus. I had had maybe half a beer and had an unopened can near me. I have never been in trouble with the law before and I have no idea what to do. The officer said it could likely be moved to a infraction, but I dont really know the law nor those in CA. How much is the fine usually? I am most worried about the fine and my drivers license. If anyone has any information it would be very much appreciated.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? From Washington, but MIP cited while at school in California

Recently I was cited for an MIP with a number of other kids on our school campus. I had had maybe half a beer and had an unopened can near me. I have never been in trouble with the law before and I have no idea what to do. The officer said it could likely be moved to a infraction, but I dont really know the law nor those in CA. How much is the fine usually? I am most worried about the fine and my drivers license. If anyone has any information it would be very much appreciated.
You need an attorney.

mzarzyck

what if i cant afford an attorney? i also have no idea how to go about that process. i am by myself down here. what would be my best option without an attorney?

quincy

In California, the legal age to drink is 21. For a MIP offense, your driver's license can be suspended or delayed for up to a year, even if a car is not involved, and you may be fined $250 or forced to perform community service. A guilty plea to a misdemeanor means you will have a criminal record.
If your MIP is reduced to an infraction, it is not reported on law enforcement criminal histories. Many times judges will give you a restricted driver's license instead of a suspended license, to allow you to get to school or to a job.
Sometimes a judge may dismiss all charges, so it would be wise to check with an attorney - you can probably get a public defender to assist you.

Wait for other responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">