• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time OVI (Ohio)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiooldy

Hello, yesterday I slipped after 1year of being sober, I got drunk I ran into a light pole and damaged it and my car a little. The State Patrol arrested me for OVI and failure to control. They took me to the station after I failed the field tests. I was cooperative with the trooper but refused the Breathalyzer test for some dumb reason.

I am devastated by this. Remorseful does not begin to describe it. I am the the heavy lifter at work and at home for my family. I know I am stupid for doing this. I will do whatever needs to be done to resolve it.

I am meeting with my Lawyer this morning and I hope he can help. I am not interested in beating this as I know I am in the wrong and I will take responsibility for my actions. I am just wondering what I am in for -- will I lose my license and not be able to drive to work? What about my job?

Thank you for any insight you may give.

FlyingRon

There's an administrative sanction of a year suspension for the refusal (if you don't have any prior alcohol convictions). You can get an occupational license after 30 days. Of course, you still have the OVI charge to deal with. Hope you have a good lawyer.

Ohiooldy

Thank you.

This is the first and last. I was stupid about the refusal. This was totally out of character for me.

Ohiooldy

I have now also been placed on paid Administrative Leave for my job. I am now utterly devastated.

Can anyone tell me if employers can allow an employee to enter a treatment plan or any other recourse that can allow me to keep my job? I have had no other events like this.

Thanks for helping.

commentator

Not an attorney, but trained mental health professional, comments based on years of observation of these sorts of things. Yes, the employer could offer you an option of going through treatment and putting you back to work afterward. They don't have to. They could if they wanted to. Might be more open to this if you suggest it, have the treatment program lined up when you talk to them.

But yes, a good attorney will be your best option. Forget "I'm so sorry, I'm so devastated" because we all know that being too sorry and too depressed and too devastated is often just another excuse to throw over sobriety totally and go deep into your addictions again.

Forget throwing yourself onto the mercy of the court. They hear that until they could just throw up. "Yeah, I did it. I'm soooooo sorry. Throw the book at me! No, I didn't hire an attorney. No I don't have a job anymore, they fired me." You might as well add "And I'm going to keep doing this, 'cause I'm sooo hopeless."

If there is an option for a treatment program anywhere around you, while your company insurance is still in effect, quickly, quickly, see if you can get into one, even though you may feel you do not need it or can't afford it. Jump into a group meeting and get in as many meetings in straight days as you can, before the court has a chance to look at the situation. Be proactive in your own rehabilitation. And have a good lawyer.

Last edited:

Ohiooldy

I am doing just what you suggest. I also have a Lawyer for my OVI and he's trying for a Intervention in Lieu of a Conviction. I have an appointment today at the Recovery center. A long shot probably. I know it sounds as you said in your reply but I am truly sorry. I believe the court stuff will pass. I am more concerned with it never happening again and I will need help to realize that.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">