• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL DUI car totaled w/ new car registered in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beachvibes

I totaled my car and then was slapped with a DUI right after in the state of Florida.
I take full responsibility and have lost in excess of over 20 grand for this 1 lapse of judgement.
Was going to flight school but that career is out the window due to money spent on DUI and the DUI as a job killer!

I am taking the plea and admitting guilt for a first time offender.....
I have no problems with all the fines and community service.... I deserve it.....
My question revolves around the 10 days of Impoundment of Immobilization of Vehicle - s. 316.193 (6), F.S.
and the ignition interlock devices......

I purchased a used POS Civic right after I totaled my car.
The car is registered in the State of NY with a NY address.
Would the 10 day impoundment + ignition interlock follow me back to NY if I don't have a car registered in FL?

beachvibes

I live in Florida now. Was attending school but now figure just finish probation + community service....
I surrendered my NY Driver's License and received a FL hardship license.
The impoundment is totally unfair since that means I am basically on house arrest and
have to miss work for 10 days and pay for the impoundment on top of that!
Was curious since my car is registered in the State of New York.....

Just Blue

I live in Florida now. Was attending school but now figure just finish probation + community service....
I surrendered my NY Driver's License and received a FL hardship license.
The impoundment is totally unfair since that means I am basically on house arrest and
have to miss work for 10 days and pay for the impoundment on top of that!
Was curious since my car is registered in the State of New York.....
No. What is "unfair" is the risk you put innocent men, women and children in with your criminal action. Be thankful you didn't kill anyone and suck up the punishment(s).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you live in Florida and are licensed in Florida then your car should be registered in Florida, NOT New York.

You're opening yourself up to more trouble by doing this.

You said you're staying in Florida so how would the impound "follow" you back to New York?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">