• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreigner has DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex69

What is the name of your state? MD

Hi everybody,
Is anybody can reply help because I absolutly don't know what can I do. I'm a french contractor in business trip in MD, and I was arrested last week after an evening in a bar, drinking too much beer. I don't speak english very well and so I didn't really understand what the cop told me and finally it's written that I refused the breath test. I also refused to sign a document because, as I said, I don't speak cery well so I didn't want to sign something I don't understand. I went to jail for the night and all the day before some colleagues pay 400 dollars bail bond. Now I have to see a judge in 2 month, the day before my return in France. They told me that I maybe have to pay 4000 dollars. The problem is not the money but is it possible that they want me to go in jail again. I don't have any attorney. The problem is that I can't miss my plane because my company paid for it, it's in my contract, and I can lose my job. I don't know the laws, I don't know what I risk...Is it really grave?
Thank you for youe help

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? MD

Hi everybody,
Is anybody can reply help because I absolutly don't know what can I do. I'm a french contractor in business trip in MD, and I was arrested last week after an evening in a bar, drinking too much beer. I don't speak english very well and so I didn't really understand what the cop told me and finally it's written that I refused the breath test. I also refused to sign a document because, as I said, I don't speak cery well so I didn't want to sign something I don't understand. I went to jail for the night and all the day before some colleagues pay 400 dollars bail bond. Now I have to see a judge in 2 month, the day before my return in France. They told me that I maybe have to pay 4000 dollars. The problem is not the money but is it possible that they want me to go in jail again. I don't have any attorney. The problem is that I can't miss my plane because my company paid for it, it's in my contract, and I can lose my job. I don't know the laws, I don't know what I risk...Is it really grave?
Thank you for youe help
Heck, yeah, it's grave! :eek:

You probably should get an attorney, and have the attorney try to change your court date.

JETX

It's grave but do I risk to go in jail??? that's the most important for me???
Considering the fact that you are very unlikely to remain in our country to serve any probation or ordered community service or alcohol education, yes, I would say it is likely that you could be looking at some jail or excessive fine.
You really, REALLY need a good local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">