• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustrated and hopeless

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Sarah1982, the "preview feature" on this forum is broken so when you preview a post before submitting it, it for some reason deletes the post.

You can add content to your original post by using the "edit post" feature or you can use the "reply to thread" feature. Please do not start a second thread, though.

Thanks.

quincy

Damn, is "preview" broken again?
It actually was never fixed. The tech only disabled the function. I am not sure why it was enabled again but administrators know about the problem. Tech is busy on something else and will get around to fixing it eventually. Until then, we get a lot of empty threads appearing - and a lot of frustrated posters.

Sarah1982

My first time using this...so I didn't post and submitted instead...below is my ??

My significant other was arrested in March for a felony DUI. His first one was a few months short of 15 years ago (timeframe looked at) so this is very frustrating for my family already. We have five children together to take care of and are hunters, and no longer can do that. Anyway, he got accepted to drug court (which sucks pretty bad and was a waste of money spent on an attorney). But this is my question...his last pretrial conference, the day he pled guilty and was accepted to drug court...the prosecuting attorney said on record that she would be ok with anything as long as his defense attorney didn't talk (they clearly hated each other). I was sitting in the court room, mad as heck cause we scraped to get this attorney and isn't it our right to retain one whom can say whatever he feels?! So my question is, is it ok/legal/right for the states attorney to say that on record about the accused defense attorney or can we do something about this?! Thanks so much, I'm hopeless and this victimless crime of DUI has only made me and my children victims.

quincy

My significant other was arrested in March for a felony DUI. His first one was a few months short of 15 years ago (timeframe looked at) so this is very frustrating for my family already. We have five children together to take care of and are hunters, and no longer can do that. Anyway, he got accepted to drug court (which sucks pretty bad and was a waste of money spent on an attorney). But this is my question...his last pretrial conference, the day he pled guilty and was accepted to drug court...the prosecuting attorney said on record that she would be ok with anything as long as his defense attorney didn't talk (they clearly hated each other). I was sitting in the court room, mad as heck cause we scraped to get this attorney and isn't it our right to retain one whom can say whatever he feels?! So my question is, is it ok/legal/right for the states attorney to say that on record about the accused defense attorney or can we do something about this?! Thanks so much, I'm hopeless and this victimless crime of DUI has only made me and my children victims.
The judge tends to ignore comments like that (or reprimands the childish attorney). It would not really make a difference in the outcome.

And drug court is probably the best outcome possible for a repeat offender anyway.

OH. I just noticed your "victimless crime" comment. No, it is not a victimless crime. You and your children are, for example, victims of your significant other's poor choices. He is just lucky he didn't injure or kill anyone when driving under the influence.

Here is a link to the program your significant other was entered into: http://www.nd.gov/docr/parole/programs/drugcourt.html

Last edited:

Just Blue

Please stop having children. :(:(

Sarah1982

Ok thanks:( just felt like his attorney rights were violated when he states attorney said that, basically giving him no chance to speak. I appreciate your reply.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If this was a "victimless" crime, meaning that your significant other did not injure or kill anyone by driving drunk, it's a matter of sheer luck and you're going to gain any sympathy points by refusing to acknowledge that.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You know, kidnapping is a felony.

"Victimless" DUI? Doesn't the "D" stand for "driving"? Bet he's done this more than twice in 15 years. Is Russian Roulette another favorite game in your family?

You frankly need to stop seeing you and your significant other as victims.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Ok thanks:( just felt like his attorney rights were violated when he states attorney said that, basically giving him no chance to speak. I appreciate your reply.
The prosecutor could not make your attorney not speak, so no rights were really violated. Your attorney apparently felt it was in your significant other's best interests to remain silent (if he did) so as to not antagonize the prosecutor.

I hope your significant other is able to meet the terms of the program, for his benefit and for everyone else's benefit - especially for your children's benefit.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">