• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Dui in nevada with CA License, just got nv license with no issues.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fire1121

Hey guys, so like the title says, I got 2 dui's in about 3 months. This was back in 2014. I got the dui's right across statelines, in Nevada. At the time I had a CA drivers license. I am going to go to paramedic school in Nevada, and apply at a fire department. I went in to get my Nevada license, and everything went smoothly. They did not bring up any of my dui's, and I left with an interim license.
I thought this was extremely strange, because I have had many correspondences with the NV DMV over email, and they have all said my driving privileged is revoked in NV. (According to the records of this department, your Nevada driving privilege went revoked due to two DUI stops that happened on 12/19/13 and 3/14/14.You will than need to obtain a SR-22 from your insurance company. You will be required to go into a Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles to reinstate your driving privilege.)and I will have to pay all these fines. But when I go in, I just had to pay the standard fee for a license, no reinstating, nothing about a driving privilege being revoked. I'm in and out, no problems.

To make things even stranger, I checked my Nevada driving record after I got my license and it came back with no convictions and a valid status. So I checked my California DMV record.. same thing. No DUI convictions.
So how does this happen, and what should I do?

quincy

Hey guys, so like the title says, I got 2 dui's in about 3 months. This was back in 2014. I got the dui's right across statelines, in Nevada. At the time I had a CA drivers license. I am going to go to paramedic school in Nevada, and apply at a fire department. I went in to get my Nevada license, and everything went smoothly. They did not bring up any of my dui's, and I left with an interim license.
I thought this was extremely strange, because I have had many correspondences with the NV DMV over email, and they have all said my driving privileged is revoked in NV. (According to the records of this department, your Nevada driving privilege went revoked due to two DUI stops that happened on 12/19/13 and 3/14/14.You will than need to obtain a SR-22 from your insurance company. You will be required to go into a Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles to reinstate your driving privilege.)and I will have to pay all these fines. But when I go in, I just had to pay the standard fee for a license, no reinstating, nothing about a driving privilege being revoked. I'm in and out, no problems.

To make things even stranger, I checked my Nevada driving record after I got my license and it came back with no convictions and a valid status. So I checked my California DMV record.. same thing. No DUI convictions.
So how does this happen, and what should I do?
How does this happen? Not sure.

What should you do? You might want to do a background check of yourself to see if the DUIs show up or you can wait to see if your interim license is revoked.

I agree it is strange but, if you want to become a paramedic, you will probably want to clear this up. I hope you have stopped drinking and driving.

fire1121

How does this happen? Not sure.

What should you do? You might want to do a background check of yourself to see if the DUIs show up or you can wait to see if your interim license is revoked.

I agree it is strange but, if you want to become a paramedic, you will probably want to clear this up. I hope you have stopped drinking and driving.
Thank you for the timely feedback!
That is exactly what I am planning on doing. And yes, I have definitely stopped drinking and driving. Thank you for your advice.

quincy

Thank you for the timely feedback!
That is exactly what I am planning on doing. And yes, I have definitely stopped drinking and driving. Thank you for your advice.
You're welcome, fire1121. I am happy you are no longer drinking and driving. Good luck.

CdwJava

It could be that your name and birthday have TWO different numbers in NV - one for the previous pre-NV license, and now another for your application. It is quite possible (and likely) that some day the two will be merged and you may well face the penalties of those DUIs. Best to research the whole thing now rather than be surprised later and suddenly out of a job due to a suspension.

Also, keep in mind that DUI conviction or two may prevent you from getting any paramedic jobs. I do not know the law in NV, but out here two convictions from 2014 that would likely prevent you from working for a few years longer. Private firms may be more forgiving than government ones ... maybe. But, the added insurance they might have to pay could be an issue.

fire1121

It could be that your name and birthday have TWO different numbers in NV - one for the previous pre-NV license, and now another for your application. It is quite possible (and likely) that some day the two will be merged and you may well face the penalties of those DUIs. Best to research the whole thing now rather than be surprised later and suddenly out of a job due to a suspension.

Also, keep in mind that DUI conviction or two may prevent you from getting any paramedic jobs. I do not know the law in NV, but out here two convictions from 2014 that would likely prevent you from working for a few years longer. Private firms may be more forgiving than government ones ... maybe. But, the added insurance they might have to pay could be an issue.
That it was I am thinking too, and I am expecting them to be merged sometime before I get my physical license. If that is the case, than I'm willing to face the consequences of my actions... I actually figured that would happen while I was applying for my license.
I've had a lot of conversations with the Medic school I plan on attending regarding the DUI's. While there is no driving portion during school, they have made it very clear they do not hire anybody with an active SR-22 on their driving record. So..keeping my fingers crossed that Nevada takes their time to put this puzzle together. Thank you for the insightful response Sgt.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's also possible that there was an error with your name or date of birth.

Here in New York we can run a "group search" on a license. What that means is we can run a license check even if we don't know if the middle initial is used on the license or if we don't know what the birth date is. I don't know if police in other states can do this but you might want to check.

fire1121

It's also possible that there was an error with your name or date of birth.

Here in New York we can run a "group search" on a license. What that means is we can run a license check even if we don't know if the middle initial is used on the license or if we don't know what the birth date is. I don't know if police in other states can do this but you might want to check.
That's interesting, I'll poke around on the DMV site and see if I can find anything like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">