• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

habitual offender - probationary license possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvcarscantdriv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Used for following question, taken from PENNDOT site:
To qualify for a Probationary License you must have completed a portion of your suspension time period, based on your driving record. The minimum period from three to six (3-6) years is determined by the number of violations that caused the current suspension/revocation of your driving privilege. In addition, any outstanding citations, judgements, examinations or hearings must be satisfied. All restoration requirements must be completed.

If you have been convicted of Driving Under the Influence (DUI), granted ARD for DUI, aggravated assault by vehicle with DUI, driving under suspension with DUI, suspended for refusal to submit to chemical testing, or offense for death or personal injury without a license within the preceding seven (7) years, you are not eligible for a PL until seven (7) years have passed. If you have ever been convicted of Homicide by Vehicle or Homicide by Vehicle while DUI, you are permanently prohibited from obtaining a PL.

I have a few DUIs and received a habitual offender tag which suspended my license for 5 years. I was reading up on PENNDOTs site that they offer a probationary license but, to me at least, the wording in the qualifications is unclear as to whether or not I would qualify based on my driving history. It looks like it says anyone with a DUI within the past 7 years has to wait 7 years to apply. However, with a 5 year suspension, what's the point since I would already be fully reinstated at that time? Another way to look at this is to read someone convicted of a DUI... without a license within the preceding seven years does not qualify, in which case I would qualify.

My question is, which is it? It seems vaguely worded and I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing. I have met the first set of qualifications and will have the required 3 years (of 5) served soon and this would be fantastic news.

Please keep the comments on topic. I realize people don't like people with DUIs any more than they like investment bankers right now. I'm just looking for a work license because I don't need any more reasons to be on the front line of losing a job if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">