• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handheld Breathalyzers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moon2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I have a question for any of police officers on the thread. Apparently everyone here drinks, is having your own personal handheld breathalyzer a good idea to have in the car? If so, what are some good brands, models, and price ranges to look at?

I figured it would be a good way of checking to see if you do drink and you are passed the limit then the person would know to call a cab or a friend vice driving home themselves.

Please don't say don't drink at all because in reality everyone that drinks, drives and if they haven't done it yet then they will sometime in their lifetime.

FlyingRon

I'm not a cop but I do have an Alcoscan 5000. You need to wait 20 minutes before blowing in the thing and my personal guess is that it reads high if it is going to error.

Note that .08 is only the per se limit so it's no guarantee that you aren't going to be able to be convicted of DUI. This is especially true (important to you as a Marylander) in places like the DC who can easily get convictions even well below the limit.

Moon2007

Yeah I know you can get be conviction at like .04 BAC but I just want to keep myself and others safe by calling a cab or another friend when needed.

BigMistakeFl

I think Sharper Image and Brookstone carry their own brands, and you can probably get one online and have it delivered to your door.

Moon2007

What are good price ranges to look at? I don't want to buy something cheap and expensive or for that matter get ripped off.

Moon2007

Also has anybody tried the Breathalyzer application for the iphone? If so, is that something to look at as well. I don't have an iphone but it's some good info for people that do.

FlyingRon

There's no iPhone breathalizer app. There's a combination iPod (Works with iphone) brethalizer and ipod FN radio modulator but it doesn't apparently work that well.

The alcoscan 5000 can be had in the $70 range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">