• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hardship License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shorz

You just have to find a sympathetic Judge in the court of the original ticket.

You have to convince the Judge to issue an abstract to MA DMV dismissing the ticket, if that is the correct thing to do (this doesn't sound like a ticket - it sounds like a misdemeanor DUI or an underage DUI; either would have required classes and other punishment and will hang around forever if the terms were not complied with).

I suggest you ask the Judge to allow you to complete an alcohol program or a hospital and morgue program or some such in return for an abstract to DMV.

The record itself may have been destroyed, but the dates and types of conviction(s) remain, with a record of unfulfilled terms of probation.

Point out the many years of a clean record that followed that violation.

That is something your atty should have done; another atty in MA may be able to do so - you need a negotiator, not someone who advertises s/he'll fight hard.

PS: forget about fighting how the 'ticket' was recorded. Just deal with what they have on record and what you have to do to comply and get the ticket dismissed/resolved.
Can I just walk into the traffic court and ask to get in front of a Judge?

My Driving record shows when I paid to reissue the suspended License in 1993, but it doesn't have the Case # which is what the courthouse needs to dig up the file. I did everything they asked, and it

Should I pay for my criminal history report to see if the case # information is listed there?

Last edited:

Shorz

According to Mass RMV, they can't do anything there, it must come from California where the ticket originated from.:confused:

Shorz

I took your advice, and will be going in front of a Judge here in San Diego Friday.

I'm trying for a Hardship or temp License until this gets resolved... :(

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm in a tough spot right now, I went in to renew my License and the DMV says I am not eligible because of MA. I moved here almost 20 years ago from MA and in 93 had a ticket that ended in my license being suspended.

I paid the reinstatement fee and didn't think about it for the last 15 years.

I need to drive and according to California, my license isn't suspended, they just can't issue me a new license until I clear things up with Mass.

What Mass is asking for is no longer available through the California Court systems.

Am I eligible for a Hardship License until this can be cleared up?

CA lawyer says it must be cleared up with MA
MA lawyer says it must be cleared up with California

The National Database is going online, and according to CA DMV there are hundreds if not thousands of people in the same situation as me.

How do we get California to change the rules and give the DMV the right to fix computer glitches?

I've been tried and sentenced by a computer for a crime I already paid for...
Your first post says the ticket originated in MA and now you are saying this:

According to Mass RMV, they can't do anything there, it must come from California where the ticket originated from.:confused:
Okay...got me confused, ya did!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Just so you know, "not available anymore" might mean it's laying around somewhere, but they're sure not going to be the ones to look for it. I had a similar problem where I was right and the DMV was wrong, and to prove it I ended up having to dig around in the basement of an old courthouse going through banker's boxes full of old paperwork. A lot of it was years and years old, even simple speeding tickets.

It wasn't even that hard. I just showed up and told them what I needed. They led me down to the basement, said "good luck", and went back upstairs.

Shorz

Your first post says the ticket originated in MA and now you are saying this:

Okay...got me confused, ya did!
now that I look back, I see why all of you thought I had the ticket in Mass, sorry for the confusion.

I moved here in 89 and never went back...

I have sent MA my driving record that shows I paid the fee after the suspension for the ticket in CA, but that still isn't enough to satisfy them. They want court records showing I used my California License when I was pulled over.

In Mass, they use the Social Security number for the driver's License, or at least they did back then. So when they merged databases and searched arrest records between the states, everyone had a flag because the Social # is part of the court records.

It's a huge Cluster f_ck, that was thrown together without thinking.

Now a huge number of people are being affected with no way to clear it up.

I'm going to court for a Judgment that can be used by everyone else in my situation, including the lawyers making the fight...

This is the second time I've been in this position, the first for a Driver's License.

and just so all of you know, when my daughter's best friend was kidnapped and murdered by a Pedovile, I was on the front line asking for this database to be created...

now I'm stuck in the middle of it.

Shorz

Just so you know, "not available anymore" might mean it's laying around somewhere, but they're sure not going to be the ones to look for it. I had a similar problem where I was right and the DMV was wrong, and to prove it I ended up having to dig around in the basement of an old courthouse going through banker's boxes full of old paperwork. A lot of it was years and years old, even simple speeding tickets.

It wasn't even that hard. I just showed up and told them what I needed. They led me down to the basement, said "good luck", and went back upstairs.
I need the Court record # to be able to track it down...

Archived in off site storage, there are 6 million people living in San Diego, according to the girl I spoke with, there are 10s of thousands of boxes...

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I need the Court record # to be able to track it down...Archived in off site storage, there are 6 million people living in San Diego, according to the girl I spoke with, there are 10s of thousands of boxes...

I'm not saying it would be easy, but I guarantee you there is some method to their storage system. All traffic offenses are in this area, from 2000 to 2005 is in that area, alphabetized by last name A to E is over here, the boxes are marked chronologically, etc. That's what I had to do, and I just kept narrowing it down until I had a pretty good idea I was in the right spot. Yes, it took me all damned day, but I found it. And all I had was knowing my last name, the county in question, and an approximate date.

Shorz

I'm hoping the Judge has the power to over ride the flag to save me the trouble of a search like that.

Will they actually let anyone just wander in to start looking through boxes?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I'm hoping the Judge has the power to over ride the flag to save me the trouble of a search like that. Will they actually let anyone just wander in to start looking through boxes?
I certainly tried everything else I could think of before undertaking such a search, but the only evidence that would help me was that one little piece of paper, so I had no choice.

It's important to note, however, that this was pre-2001. Perhaps these days it wouldn't be so easy. Even so, I'm sure there was a certain level of security-consciousness but I had so much paperwork with me I only got about halfway through my explanation for why I needed to find it before she stopped me and just led me down there.

Definitely try everything else you can think of, but this is just something to consider if you get desperate.

Incidentally--I also personally met with a judge--and it helped--but I still had to dig through those boxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">