• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hardship License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shorz

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm in a tough spot right now, I went in to renew my License and the DMV says I am not eligible because of MA. I moved here almost 20 years ago from MA and in 93 had a ticket that ended in my license being suspended.

I paid the reinstatement fee and didn't think about it for the last 15 years.

I need to drive and according to California, my license isn't suspended, they just can't issue me a new license until I clear things up with Mass.

What Mass is asking for is no longer available through the California Court systems.

Am I eligible for a Hardship License until this can be cleared up?

CA lawyer says it must be cleared up with MA
MA lawyer says it must be cleared up with California

The National Database is going online, and according to CA DMV there are hundreds if not thousands of people in the same situation as me.

How do we get California to change the rules and give the DMV the right to fix computer glitches?

I've been tried and sentenced by a computer for a crime I already paid for...

Shorz

One thing I don't understand is, Mass is treating this as if I was convicted for the ticket, not what I was sentenced for.

Are they tying the Police records together for the Nationwide Database, or the Courts?

Shorz

I was driving down the highway steering with my knees as I peeled an in and out burger double wrapper.

The officer saw me swerve and pulled me over, I blew a .06, ticket, OUI, the Judge knocked it down to a reckless.

I promised him I'd never eat and drive again and he laughed...

When I call Mass, they want to see the court record on my OUI

Misdemeanors are gone after 7 years in California

Shorz

You stated in another thread that you used a CA ID in MA. So have you not been driving for 15 years?
I moved here from Mass in 89.

The ticket was here in San Diego in 1993, my license from Mass was renewed 8 months after I moved to California.

That was after I already turned it in for my California License.

Shay-Pari'e

OK, again******************************************What have you been doing for 15 years? The records never go away, they may become a little chip in a dusty room, but they are not gone.

None of this makes any sense.

Shorz

You stated in another thread that you used a CA ID in MA. So have you not been driving for 15 years?
I have never had a problem renewing my license until now, I've been here almost 20 years.

This all has to do with the push to bring RealID online by May 8th

The databases are being Merged without consideration of what it is doing to people in my situation

Shorz

OK, again******************************************What have you been doing for 15 years? The records never go away, they may become a little chip in a dusty room, but they are not gone.

None of this makes any sense.
I have been down to the courthouse and spoke with Driving records and court records.

They tell me there isn't any way to retrieve the original records.

If it was a Felony they keep them forever...

Shorz

Can I get a Hardship License?

I need to drive to be able to work...

This back and forth battle has been going on for two months

garrula lingua

You just have to find a sympathetic Judge in the court of the original ticket.

You have to convince the Judge to issue an abstract to MA DMV dismissing the ticket, if that is the correct thing to do (this doesn't sound like a ticket - it sounds like a misdemeanor DUI or an underage DUI; either would have required classes and other punishment and will hang around forever if the terms were not complied with).

I suggest you ask the Judge to allow you to complete an alcohol program or a hospital and morgue program or some such in return for an abstract to DMV.

The record itself may have been destroyed, but the dates and types of conviction(s) remain, with a record of unfulfilled terms of probation.

Point out the many years of a clean record that followed that violation.

That is something your atty should have done; another atty in MA may be able to do so - you need a negotiator, not someone who advertises s/he'll fight hard.

PS: forget about fighting how the 'ticket' was recorded. Just deal with what they have on record and what you have to do to comply and get the ticket dismissed/resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">