• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hardship license in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

got14you

I've had 2 DWI's in NC and 2 DWLR during my suspension. Lost my license in NC until June 2010 :( Recently moved to TX and cleaned up. Now I'm ready to go back into society but how can I do that when I can't drive? I've heard something about hardship licenses but can't find a whole lot of info on the web about it. How do you get a hardship license without a job? How do you get a job without a license? A bit of a catch 22 I'm in. Thanks.

FlyingRon

It's called the Occupational Drivers License (ODL). The Hardship license is a term used in Texas to waive age restrictions in the GDL system.

I'm not even sure you can get any sort of Texas license with your out-of-state license suspended. You need to find alternative transportation. Bicycles work well.

I've had 2 DWI's in NC and 2 DWLR during my suspension. Lost my license in NC until June 2010 :( Recently moved to TX and cleaned up. Now I'm ready to go back into society but how can I do that when I can't drive? I've heard something about hardship licenses but can't find a whole lot of info on the web about it. How do you get a hardship license without a job? How do you get a job without a license? A bit of a catch 22 I'm in. Thanks.
2 DWIs and 2 DWLR...?:eek:
I would hope they don't give you another license. Apparently you have a disregard for the law and didn't learn your lesson the first time. What will it take, you killing or laming someone before you realize that driving is not a right, but a privilege. It's obvious you don't deserve a license. Hey, there is always mass transportation or thumbing it....;)

got14you

ok, yes, I probably don't DESERVE a license. I voluntarily spent $8500. going to a 30 inpatient rehab to fix this. I was going to die or kill someone if I didn't do this. Not that you care, but I have this wonderful perspective on life now, and will do anything not to sabotage it. We all make mistakes...some more than others. As long as we learn from the lesson, thats what matters. I sure did.

ok, yes, I probably don't DESERVE a license. I voluntarily spent $8500. going to a 30 inpatient rehab to fix this. I was going to die or kill someone if I didn't do this. Not that you care, but I have this wonderful perspective on life now, and will do anything not to sabotage it. We all make mistakes...some more than others. As long as we learn from the lesson, thats what matters. I sure did.
Are we really sure about that...I mean really? Or will we be hearing the same speech after the third, fourth, fifth? You should have saved that speech after the first one and learned your lesson. Now you want us to believe that after the repeated offenses, you have FINALLY learned your lesson.

Voluntarily paid for rehab? Your lucky that you didn't have to pay for being locked up in the county jail. Big difference. No price can pay for a lost loved one at the hands of someone who thought they had learned their lesson.

Actually, you are right in a way. I don't really care about your perspective on life. I do care about the lives that are affected by drunk drivers injuring innocent people. Wouldn't it be great if the only ones hurt in an accident were the drunk drivers. Then I would be saying to you, "bottoms up"...:cool:

got14you

Well, I don't blame you for what you're saying. You obviously have quite a bit of resentment towards people like me. Who wouldn't? I didn't start this thread to be scolded :( I've had plenty of that in my lifetime and have become numb to it.
I guess I thought this was a forum where you can ask for free legal advice and people want to help you.

Btw, I live 30 miles from downtown Houston (which is still considered Houston). That city is so spread out that even if I lived downtown, it would still be difficult and expensive to get around. Maybe I need advice on where a good city (that's warm) would be for public transit... I'll look elsewhere for that info. Thank you for your comments, everybody.

moburkes

Well, I don't blame you for what you're saying. You obviously have quite a bit of resentment towards people like me. Who wouldn't? I didn't start this thread to be scolded :( I've had plenty of that in my lifetime and have become numb to it.
I guess I thought this was a forum where you can ask for free legal advice and people want to help you.

Btw, I live 30 miles from downtown Houston (which is still considered Houston). That city is so spread out that even if I lived downtown, it would still be difficult and expensive to get around. Maybe I need advice on where a good city (that's warm) would be for public transit... I'll look elsewhere for that info. Thank you for your comments, everybody.
Your chances of getting that license are 0%.

1) I am new to Texas, what do I need to do in order to get a Texas license?

A new resident moving into Texas who has a valid driver license from his home state, has 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license. In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office and present and do the following: Texas Transportation Code 521.029.

New residents previously licensed in another state:

Proof of Identity. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.24.

Proof of Social Security Number. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.42, Texas Transportation Code 521.044.

Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle. Texas Transportation Code 521.143.

Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.

Pay the required fee. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.40, Texas Transportation Code 521.421.

Pass the vision exam. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, Texas Transportation Code 521.161.

Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.44, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.45, Texas Transportation Code 521.142.

If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender. Texas Transportation Code 521.182.

CavemanLawyer

Yes you can apply for an occupational license, also called a restricted license. I don't see any reason at all why it would not be granted. I have seen people with many more DWI and DWLI convictions than you that have been approved.

You can hire an attorney to do all the work if you want, but its really not hard to do yourself. You should be able to get application forms from the County Clerk's office. You will have to pay a fee which is usually around $350-$400.

Since you have two prior DWI's you will have to have the interlock device installed in your vehicle BEFORE the occ. license will be granted. You can find services for this in the phone book or ask the county clerks or someone in the DA's office. If at least one of your DWI's is very old (at least 10 years old) than you may be able to get interlock waived. Just ask whoever approves the application. This is a dirty little secret that I probably shouldn't tell you but... if your only vehicle is a motorcycle than interlock will be waived since there's no way to install interlock on a bike.

If your license is currently suspended because of one of those DWI's than you will also have to take alcohol related counseling. There are several options for this but the minimum way of satisfying this is to complete 2 Alcoholic Anonymous meetings. You don't have to have this done before getting the license approved, just make sure you get it done quickly and keep proof with your license (the order itself) at all times. If you've already done equivalent counseling than you should be able to just use proof of that.

You will need to get an SR22. This can be obtained from your auto insurance carrier, but not all offer it. How much this costs depends entirely on your insurer and your history with them. Sometimes its free, sometimes its like $500.

Once the application is approved and signed by the judge you will be given a copy of the order which contains all of the terms. Keep the order in your vehicle at all times. Depending on how specific the To and From info is in your application, you may have to maintain a driving log in the car as well. Just a notepad will do. Pay attention to all restrictions in the order. If you get caught driving outside of restrictions than you will get another DWLI.

Your occ. license won't last forever. You can keep getting it renewed but if you ever want to get a real license you need find out exactly what is suspending you in NC. Order your driving record from them. You are probably under mandatory suspension until some date. You're going to have to wait at least that long but you might have some fines or fees outstanding that will need to be paid.

Good for you getting your life back together. Just keep clean and prove yourself to DPS and eventually you will get your driver's license back. Until then, get your occ. license so you can work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">