• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run? Anything I can do here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catchabreak69

New Jersey

I drove to a bar last Saturday only about a mile from my place. I really didn’t intend on having more than a few drinks but you know how these things go. I don’t know exactly how much I had to drink but I found a credit card receipt in my pocket the next morning and the total was over $100, and this place usually gives me free drinks, so it must have been a lot.

My roommate told me the next morning that when I got home around 3 AM I was laughing about hitting this Mercedes in front of the laundromat we go to. It’s on the way between the bar and my apartment so I probably would have driven right by it, but obviously I don’t remember.

We walk over there (it’s only about 2 blocks) and sure enough this Mercedes was parked there with the front all smashed up. I don’t know much about cars but it’s the one with the headlights that go Oo..oO. (E class maybe?). It was a nice car but not anymore. Anyway this ******* was parked the wrong way on a one-way street. It he had been parked the right way I would have hit his back bumper and maybe the damage wouldn’t have been that bad. Am I still at fault for this accident?

Even if I had been sober I wouldn’t have stopped or called the cops because number one I don’t have a license (loooooong story) or insurance right now and number 2 the car is not registered. I don’t think it even has good plates. (My uncle owns a body shop and he gave me some old ones to put one so I wouldn’t get pulled over). The tires and brakes are also really ****ty which is why I never drive it on the highway. Oh and my brother borrowed it the other day and I think he left his gun in the glove compartment so I don’t certainly need that bull**** if a cop found it. I hear they don't take too kindly to that in NJ,

Anyway what should I do now? Can they trace it back to me somehow? Maybe I caught a break finally and they won’t catch me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
New Jersey

I drove to a bar last Saturday only about a mile from my place. I really didn’t intend on having more than a few drinks but you know how these things go. I don’t know exactly how much I had to drink but I found a credit card receipt in my pocket the next morning and the total was over $100, and this place usually gives me free drinks, so it must have been a lot.

My roommate told me the next morning that when I got home around 3 AM I was laughing about hitting this Mercedes in front of the laundromat we go to. It’s on the way between the bar and my apartment so I probably would have driven right by it, but obviously I don’t remember.

We walk over there (it’s only about 2 blocks) and sure enough this Mercedes was parked there with the front all smashed up. I don’t know much about cars but it’s the one with the headlights that go Oo..oO. (E class maybe?). It was a nice car but not anymore. Anyway this ******* was parked the wrong way on a one-way street. It he had been parked the right way I would have hit his back bumper and maybe the damage wouldn’t have been that bad. Am I still at fault for this accident?

Even if I had been sober I wouldn’t have stopped or called the cops because number one I don’t have a license (loooooong story) or insurance right now and number 2 the car is not registered. I don’t think it even has good plates. (My uncle owns a body shop and he gave me some old ones to put one so I wouldn’t get pulled over). The tires and brakes are also really ****ty which is why I never drive it on the highway. Oh and my brother borrowed it the other day and I think he left his gun in the glove compartment so I don’t certainly need that bull**** if a cop found it. I hear they don't take too kindly to that in NJ,

Anyway what should I do now? Can they trace it back to me somehow? Maybe I caught a break finally and they won’t catch me.
Expect that when you are caught that you will be going to jail for quite a long time.

dave33

There doesn't seem to be anything you can do now.

Who knows if they can trace it to you. You are just going
to have to wait and see if you get that dreaded knock
on the door.

Lucky no injuries or death. Hopefully this will not happen
again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">