• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hosting a wedding Reception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuddie

I live in NYS. We have been asked to host a famiy members wedding reception. There will be guests invited that we do not know. There will be alcohol, non alcoholic beverages and food. We have been told that if we host a party on our property that we would be responsible for guests leaving our premises drunk. If they get into an accident we would be liable. Does anyone know the law pertaining to this situation?

quincy

I live in NYS. We have been asked to host a famiy members wedding reception. There will be guests invited that we do not know. There will be alcohol, non alcoholic beverages and food. We have been told that if we host a party on our property that we would be responsible for guests leaving our premises drunk. If they get into an accident we would be liable. Does anyone know the law pertaining to this situation?
You need to avoid serving alcohol to guests at the reception who are minors. Here is a link to New York's General Obligations Law §11-100: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/GOB/11/1/11-100

Are you planning on selling alcohol to guests? If so, here is a link to New York's §11-101 which covers the sale of alcohol: http://law.onecle.com/new-york/general-obligations/GOB011-101_11-101.html

I suggest you ask your insurance agent about event insurance, to expand your insurance coverage during the time you will be hosting the wedding.

LdiJ

I suggest you hire professional (insured) bartenders.
I suspect that the OP is only providing the location. I doubt that he is paying for any of it, or has any control over any financial aspects.

Personally, I would gauge it based on the type of crowd expected.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In New York, if you have been injured by someone who was intoxicated as the result of a party or social event, you have a right to seek compensation from the persons who provided the alcohol.

FYI.

Although I did find this:

In general, a provider of alcoholic beverages is not liable for the injuries sustained by a intoxicated patron (even a minor) due to their voluntary
consumption of alcohol.886 Sheehy v. Big Flats Community Day, Inc., 541 N.E.2d 18 N.Y. 1989)

Last edited:

LdiJ

In New York, if you have been injured by someone who was intoxicated as the result of a party or social event, you have a right to seek compensation from the persons who provided the alcohol.

FYI.

Although I did find this:

In general, a provider of alcoholic beverages is not liable for the injuries sustained by a intoxicated patron (even a minor) due to their voluntary
consumption of alcohol.886 Sheehy v. Big Flats Community Day, Inc., 541 N.E.2d 18 N.Y. 1989)
The question is, in this scenario who would be the provider of the alcohol?

HighwayMan

The question is, in this scenario who would be the provider of the alcohol?
I believe in the case of a commercial establishment, i.e. a bar, one could sue both the bartender personally AND the establishment. It may or may not work the same way at a private residence.

LdiJ

I believe in the case of a commercial establishment, i.e. a bar, one could sue both the bartender personally AND the establishment. It may or may not work the same way at a private residence.
That isn't exactly where I was going. In this instance, who is the establishment? The person providing the location for the wedding or the person paying for the wedding?

single317dad

In this instance, who is the establishment? The person providing the location for the wedding or the person paying for the wedding?
Whose pockets are deeper?

When considering any hypothetical lawsuit, it's wise to gauge one's own exposure versus other parties who might share liability.

HighwayMan

That isn't exactly where I was going. In this instance, who is the establishment? The person providing the location for the wedding or the person paying for the wedding?
Right - I was trying to make the point that it could be both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">