• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I move to another state with a restricted license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Denny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO.

I have a limited privledge license from MO, with ignition interlock installed. I want to move to western NY for a job transfer within the company I now work for. The MO DMV says that no other state will accept my license from here, and grant me a limited privledge from their state. The Intoxalock company said they have no problem with me moving my interlock device to another state. They just said all that was between me and the DMV of MO and NY. Is there anything I can do here to move, and still be legal?

SIN EATER

Maintain a residence address in MO.

Continue to comply with MO restrictions.

NY should honor an out-of-state DL; as long as you are complying with the restrictions, you can drive your car in NY.

Many people, in these challenging economic times, work away from home.

NY may have a requirement that you get a NY license after you are in residence in NY for a certain period. However, it is arguable as to whether you are simply commuting weekly to a far-off job location. Or at least, that would be my argument, if I were in your shoes.

FlyingRon

A "job transfer" doesn't sound like he's commuting.
There's a strong chance NY will get him for driving while residing there (it's only 30 days grace period).

Missouri is right. Most states will not give you a license while under a restricted license elsewhere.

Just make sure that if you are pulled over in NY, that you are just visiting or on a temp possition. Find out how long you can be in the State before having to leave and don't ever tell an official that you have been there longer than that or they will have to act....
It maybe possible to get non resident plates, but check the rules carefully.

Of course I didn't say that. :eek:

BigMistakeFl

Moving

Ron's right, when you move to another state, even without restrictions, you have about thirty days to get licensed in that new state. But what if they don't know you are there and licensed in your former home state? Ok, but the moment you get any attention the clock starts ticking. This includes any traffic stops, and one friend in CA said the clock started ticking for her when she got a parking ticket.

With a restricted license (suspended) and interlock, I'd seek the approval of my Probation Officer, possibly even ask him or her to write a letter explaining the conditions, the move, his or her approval and I'd keep copies in my car.

FlyingRon

Ron's right, when you move to another state, even without restrictions, you have about thirty days to get licensed in that new state.
30 days in NY. In some states it's not even that much.
But what if they don't know you are there and licensed in your former home state? Ok, but the moment you get any attention the clock starts ticking.
Nope, the clock starts ticking when he moved. If he is stopped and the officer suspects he indeed is a resident of NY without changing his license, he'll write a ticket for that. The court will determine when indeed residence was established.

Getting a ticket isn't when the clock starts ticking, it's when the alarm goes off.

BigMistakeFl

Clock

In my state, it's thirty days also. But when you get a ticket, that's when your thirty days begins. In fact, until you are stopped, they don't know when you moved here.

Perhaps it's just FL as we have people residing here part of the year who maintain residence in other states, such as NY and other points north. (We call them snowbirds) They can be licensed in another state, cars can have tags from other states even. And here, we have thousands of transient drivers on vacation. I don't think our courts would be able to dedicate the resources to researching apartment rentals and utility bills, etc to determine if a person is just here to visit Mickey or actually moved here.

FlyingRon

If that is indeed how Florida treats it, it is in direct contradiction to their statute and certainly at odds in how it is handled in New York where the original poster is concerned.
Although Florida is unusual in the way it determines Residence. You can live there for up to six consecutive months before they'll consider you a resident, unless you get a job, register to vote, try to enroll a kid in school, or file for a homestead exemption.

BigMistakeFl

Fl

Florida is a "motor-voter" state so you register to vote when you get your FL license. And some folks have their kids enrolled in school part of the year here, and part in another state. Some out of state kids come to FL to boarding school or university (without getting FL resident tuition rates), and then some Floridans send their kids northeast to NY (for instance) to boarding school also. And you're right, if you file for homestead exemption in FL you'd have to have bought a house for use as your primary residence, so you'd have established residency to do so. There are also many snowbirds here, mostly older, who have a job in the winter months and leave them when the weather gets too hot, then they flee northward again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">