• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How could a first time DUI be Class B Felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mitzi

What is the name of your state? FL

I had my first DUI in Florida in 2005, I moved to Wisconsin and got a Wisconsin license and now I am back in Florida. I started a new job, they did a background check 3 days after I started, and came back to me saying I have a Class B Felony from Wisconsin! I thought that was only if you caused harm or someone was killed with a DUI? It was my first DUI and I was never arrested in my life for anything other than that. Also weird because it showed August 2006, Class B Felony. Anybody know what is going on? Thanks for any help.....:mad:

Mitzi

Dui Class B Felony

I have no idea and am extremely confused about it myself. When they did the background check he said....it showed Class B Felony, August 2006. My DUI in Florida was in May of 2005. I thought they only classified a DUI as a class B if you they was either a minor in the car or if you had killed someone else? I doubt it is just because I pleaded guilty. thanks.

Mitzi

Wisconsin & Florida Felony for DUI

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I checked that earlier and the only thing I had was a civil action because of a debt that is closed. That should not be a Felony and was from November 2006. I already know for a fact that I have never been charged in Wisconsin with any crime, so it is very odd.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I think I'd contact the clerk of court and try to get to the bottom of this. It may also be possible to run one of the better criminal background checks on yourself and try to get more details. I can't see how this is related to your DUI in Florida. This is something you need to get resolved though.

Mitzi

WI & FL response

Thank you for your response....

If it show's up only in Wisconsin, I believe it may be because WI did not get my records in their database from my DUI in Florida until that date. I will probably get alot more answer's looking at my WI driving record when I acces it tomorrow. The problem is that when you pay for a criminal background check, sometimes it will only state what it is that you have with no details.....which is what happened in the case of my employer. It only said one thing.....Class B Felony, Aug, 2006...WI, with no reason or explanation of the charges. I have had two background checks, one being in September 2007 (ironically after my current company found my Feloney from Aug., 2006)through a hospital, and they found my one DUI that I admitted to, I signed a statement and they still hired me. I can't sleep, eat until I get to the bottom of this, because who wants a Class B Felony on their record, when I made one stupid mistake in my life and trust me....have paid for it! But when it affects a $80,000K job a year, it is not a joke.

Mitzi

Class B Felony

Just wanted to let you know the outcome. I called the Wisconsin Dept of Justice - Law Enforcement and got my own record over the phone. There was no Class B Felony and they have 3 different sources, so I gave my employer the number, they called and said I was clear to come in tomorrow and are paying for a lost day! They are also giving me a copy of the record they have, so that I can get this cleared up. Thanks for listening...Hope this helps someone else. Just goes to prove how inconsistent those background checks really are!

it appears that with your moving back and forth, going to WI and getting a license and then coming back to FL. you will need to get a FL license (or a "just FL license) unless you are a student and your main residency is in WI...but why didnt you have one already when you lived in either state. This is confusing.

You apparently had a license while in FL when you were arrested for the DUI in 2005. So yyou moved to WI for how long before you requested one from them only to move back to FL? Whats up with all the moves?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">