• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my life back after 2 DUI's ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellofello1

What is the name of your state?IL
My first DUI I was guilty, I had no business driving and deserved it. My second DUI I chose not to drive and was barely drunk .087. But I was convicted even though I wasn't driving. As a truckdriver this left me penniless, unemployed, and stranded in a small town. I moved to a city where I have access to the bus. I have not had a drink in 9 months, and am now going to college. My part time job barely pays my bills, let alone fines, classes, reinstatement.... etc... I don't see myself being able to afford SR-22 car insurance anytime soon. Sometimes I think that even when I graduate from college, I will have a difficult time getting a good job with two DUI's on my record. Also, I was wondering what happens if I do not get my driver's license reinstated. Will I be able to reinstate it in four years when I may be able to afford the insurance ? I am not bitter, I am thankful that I did not hurt anyone, and thankful that my drinking days are over. I am now trying to move forward from this. I will never be a truckdriver again, because no one will be able to insure me as a driver, even if I get my license back. Any advice would be appreciated

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mellofello1 said:
My first DUI I was guilty, I had no business driving and deserved it. My second DUI I chose not to drive and was barely drunk .087. But I was convicted even though I wasn't driving. As a truckdriver this left me penniless, unemployed, and stranded in a small town. I moved to a city where I have access to the bus. I have not had a drink in 9 months, and am now going to college. My part time job barely pays my bills, let alone fines, classes, reinstatement.... etc... I don't see myself being able to afford SR-22 car insurance anytime soon. Sometimes I think that even when I graduate from college, I will have a difficult time getting a good job with two DUI's on my record. Also, I was wondering what happens if I do not get my driver's license reinstated. Will I be able to reinstate it in four years when I may be able to afford the insurance ? I am not bitter, I am thankful that I did not hurt anyone, and thankful that my drinking days are over. I am now trying to move forward from this. I will never be a truckdriver again, because no one will be able to insure me as a driver, even if I get my license back. Any advice would be appreciated

My response:

Hey, everybody makes a mistake, right?

Too bad you made two mistakes. You're over your limit, and I hope you ride the bus for the rest of your life.

Don't come crying to us, or anyone, when you failed to learn from your first mistake. I don't trust you. Once a drunk driver, always a drunk driver. You did it twice, and your third could be a killer. No thanks.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

mellofello1 said:

What's your AA sponsor's first name?

mellofello1

My first one I really could have killed someone. My second one I was sleeping in my car, no danger to anyone. I don't mind walking, biking, riding the bus. However, it would be nice to think I could get a real job and contribute to society some day instead of drawing welfare, do you like paying for my food stamps ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mellofello1 said:
I'm not in AA

My response:

That's what we thought, and that's why SeniorJudge asked you the question. You're not even trying to rehabilitate yourself!

No, I don't mind paying for your Food Stamps. As long as you're not driving.

You don't deserve the privilege of driving.

Ride a skateboard for all I give a damn.

IAAL

mellofello1

You couldn't be more wrong. I am trying, and have a good support network of friends who do not drink, and everyone who knows me knows that I no longer drink. But I came here looking for advice, and I take it that your advice is to join AA ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mellofello1 said:
You couldn't be more wrong. I am trying, and have a good support network of friends who do not drink, and everyone who knows me knows that I no longer drink. But I came here looking for advice, and I take it that your advice is to join AA ?

My response:

No. Our advice is not "join AA". We don't do that type of advice. My advice, however, is for you to go away, don't return, and forget about driving. You blew it.

We're not going to assist a two-time loser.

IAAL

mellofello1

I guess my comments were a little sharp. It hurts my feelings that after everything I've been through that people still jump to conclusions about me. Quitting drinking is a major accomplishment in my life. Starting college after being out of school for 9 years was a major accomplishment. I recieved all B's on my midterm. I guess going to AA meetings is a good idea, but I want you to know that I do have friends who call me and ask if I have been drinking, one of them has been in recovery for 10 years. So I guess he is my unofficial sponser.
I guess I was hoping for better advice than "Suffer, loser". But if I can't establish any trust with you then this is a waste of my time.

HomeGuru

mellofello1 said:
I guess my comments were a little sharp. It hurts my feelings that after everything I've been through that people still jump to conclusions about me. Quitting drinking is a major accomplishment in my life. Starting college after being out of school for 9 years was a major accomplishment. I recieved all B's on my midterm. I guess going to AA meetings is a good idea, but I want you to know that I do have friends who call me and ask if I have been drinking, one of them has been in recovery for 10 years. So I guess he is my unofficial sponser.
I guess I was hoping for better advice than "Suffer, loser". But if I can't establish any trust with you then this is a waste of my time.

**A: oh poor poor baby with hurt feelings. Maybe I'll pay more taxes so you can get more food stamps ok?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mellofello1 said:

My response:

You lost society's "trust" when you were caught drinking and driving. Also, this whole thing with you doesn't even take into account all the times you were driving drunk and weren't caught.

Sorry, but we can't trust you. There's too much at stake. We can't take the chance.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

fvurakki said:
I hate to be the one to provide you with this BLINDING glimpse into the obvious...But 2 dui's , one whlie sleeping and all be it dumb, but unaware of the law i'm sure....does not make someone an alcoholic. Get a clue you closed minded prick
The definition of "alcoholic" is a person who has problems due to alcohol.

So what else would you call a person who has been caught and convicted twice of DUI?

fvurakki

seniorjudge said:
The definition of "alcoholic" is a person who has problems due to alcohol.

So what else would you call a person who has been caught and convicted twice of DUI?
Read my whole post...

....And personally, i really could care less what you "DECIDE" to make the definition of words are...lol

The definition of alcoholic is:
A person who drinks alcoholic substances habitually and to excess or who suffers from alcoholism.

This may not be this guy...but under the definition, if you drank 3 times per year at random times, one of those times in excess and you drove and had 10 dui's in 10 years, you wouldnt be an alcoholic...with that being said, thats just to prove a point on deffinition if you're gonna wanna pick it apart like that...

NOW...let me give you MY deffinition, as I am someone who has had to deal with close friends and family deal with the disease...

I think you are an alcoholic when alcohol starts having a negative effect on your life (other than hang overs and saying the occasional embarassing thing) and when recognized by yourself and/or others that it having the effect, you are unable to slow down and/or quit. So, if this guy had drank and drove...and then drank and drove again...then i'd be more on your side (although a little more compasionate i must admit).....But he drank and drove, and then slept in his car while being under the influence. I dont know about the rest of his life involving alcohol....but based on JUST the info we have been made aware of, you're an absolute IDIOT if you think this automatically makes him alcoholic.

Last edited:

fvurakki

One more thing...if you are going to call him an alcoholic , then why are you pouncing on him....

As the recently passed away mitch hedberg once said:

"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddamn it Otto, you are an alcoholic. Goddamn it Otto, you have Lupus... one of those two doesn't sound right."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">