• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i get a restricted license and how long does it take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PennySD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (LA county)

I got a DUI conviction in early December, and my license was suspended starting last October (lost DMV hearing). The results of the DMV hearing says I can't have a license re-issued until late Feb until these are met:

• pay the reissue fee
  • SR-22
  • SR-22 for three years
  • And completion of the DUI program if convicted (which I was found guilty of, and have started, but not completed, my DUI program)

This is listed as: "This action is independent of any other action taken by the court or this department"

After my court date where i was found guilty, I got an order of suspension from the dmv, which said I CAN apply for a restricted license immediately if I:

• Clear all other outstandign suspension or revocation actions on my driver record (not sure what those are, or if I have any)
  • I can provide proof of enrollment or completion (DL-107 or DL-101)
  • SR-22
  • and pay all fines.

I can meet all these requirements (unless there's something on my record i don't know about), but is this still valid, as my first DMV hearing results said "This action is independent of any other action taken by the court or this department?" or does that only apply to a full reinstatement?

I understand that I will need an IID as I am in LA county, but I didn't want to shell out the installation fees only to find that when I go to the DMV they'll say I need proof of completion of my DUI program. Also, how long does it take to get a restricted license? Is it immediate as all the requirements are met at the DMV or is there a processing time?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (LA county)

I got a DUI conviction in early December, and my license was suspended starting last October (lost DMV hearing). The results of the DMV hearing says I can't have a license re-issued until late Feb until these are met:

• pay the reissue fee
  • SR-22
  • SR-22 for three years
  • And completion of the DUI program if convicted (which I was found guilty of, and have started, but not completed, my DUI program)

This is listed as: "This action is independent of any other action taken by the court or this department"

After my court date where i was found guilty, I got an order of suspension from the dmv, which said I CAN apply for a restricted license immediately if I:

• Clear all other outstandign suspension or revocation actions on my driver record (not sure what those are, or if I have any)
  • I can provide proof of enrollment or completion (DL-107 or DL-101)
  • SR-22
  • and pay all fines.

I can meet all these requirements (unless there's something on my record i don't know about), but is this still valid, as my first DMV hearing results said "This action is independent of any other action taken by the court or this department?" or does that only apply to a full reinstatement?

I understand that I will need an IID as I am in LA county, but I didn't want to shell out the installation fees only to find that when I go to the DMV they'll say I need proof of completion of my DUI program. Also, how long does it take to get a restricted license? Is it immediate as all the requirements are met at the DMV or is there a processing time?

**A: so what's the problem as it is past February now?

PennySD

Well the initial DMV hearing states I need to present a form for completion of a DUI program, and this decision is independent of court or other actions by the DMV, but the second suspension notice after my court hearing says I can get a restricted license with either proof of enrollment or completion.

So the DMV's confusing me as to whether i need to present a proof of completion or enrollment...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">