• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get public defender in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dima

What is the name of your state? CA

My boyfriend got a DUI and must go to court before the 7th of Jan. He needs a public defender, but everywhere I look it says that one is assigned to you. How is that possible if they dont know you exist? Surely he must be able to seek one out himself. There isnt even a set court date, just "on or before Jan 7." It is misdemeanor DUI, if that makes a difference. Can we go to the courthouse ahead of time and ask for one? Can we call and ask for one? Everything I google just says one will "be assigned." Is this really possible?

CdwJava

When he goes to arraignment (his first court hearing) he should be assigned counsel if he cannot afford one.

It might be possible to obtain one prior to court. if so, he can also call the public defender's office (if there is one) and ask how to go about it. Perhaps the courthouse has that information.

YOU have no legal standing here. he is not your husband or your child so he has to do this himself. Since his court date is in January, I assume that he has been released with a citation and is free to make his own arrangements.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">