• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to go about paying fines/fees to restore license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My brother has copme to me for help alkthough I am not sure where to go.

Between 2001-2005 he went through a period making very bad coices and decisions leading to time in jail for DUI, driving under suspension, etc...After being released from jail he has been back at work full time, license suspension continues., As of Sept 2008 he was "eligible" to get his license back and went to court for this. Hanging over his head is $3000-3500 in fines and fees, not sure what late fees will be accrued to these. He would very much like to get this all behind him and get his license back but as one can imagine, late fees alone will bury him financially. While he knows waiting is not helping his cause, he doesn't know where to turn nor can he afford to hire an attorney.

How does he go about starting to resolve these to completely get his life back on track? He was told it is $60.00 each time he opens a case, which would add up too since there are many outstanding fines. Is there a person in the court he can contact and talk to about getting late fees dropped, set up payments etc...lump all the fines into one or does each have to be dealt with individually? I would like to help but don't know how to advise him and I can not afford an attorney for him either.

Yea, no kidding...

This is a serious question. Is it that simple, just write out the monies?

Does each ticket/fine have to be reopened in order to pay it? or

Can he get a summary at the court and start paying? If so from who? Clerk? DA?

Once he pays, then what? Does he get before the judge?

I came here for guidance. He really wants to resolve this but he is under the impression each fine/ticket needs to filed for and reopened, a crazy process if this is true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">