• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long will a DWI effect my ability to be employed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

postDWI

What is the name of your state? NC
I was just recently convicted of a DWI, and received the minimal sentence of 24 hrs community service, and limited driving privileges for a year. I have absolutely nothing else on my record. I know that a DWI will stay on my driving record for 7 years-- does that mean that prospective employers will no longer be able to see the DWI after 7 years if they do a criminal background check? Also, how much does having a DWI effect your ability to change jobs? any info would be appreciated.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

As far as I know, the conviction can show up on a background search beyond 7 years. Background checks are unregulated and available all over the internet. But I'll leave that up to another, possibly from NC, to answer. As for the job search, I can tell you from personal experience that I lost one job because of the DUI, got three great offers despite the DUI, and lost one because I failed to disclose the DUI at the onset of the interview process.

For that latter, I didn't think it had made it onto public records yet, so I didn't mention it, just left that blank. Like so many employers now, they performed a simple background check and there it was. This made me look dishonest. After that, I took a proactive approach and disclosed it fully with my own brief-as-possible description of the arrest and how it prevents me from making that dumb choice again. The employer who actually hired me was a first offense DUI veteran himself, and hired me on the spot. Better to disclose it all and tell it in your own words rather than leaving it up to their imagination.

Being a DUI offender myself, the offense has yet to cause any problems for me and employment. I got hired for second job in the evenings with a full background check back in December.

The critical thing is to be up front about it. If you don't say anything, and the offense shows up, that will cause problems.

I just tell them up front that I have a DUI on my record that will show up on a background check. I fullfilled all legal requirements and there have been no reoffenses.

shine

thanks guys

SillyPuddy said:
Being a DUI offender myself, the offense has yet to cause any problems for me and employment. I got hired for second job in the evenings with a full background check back in December.

The critical thing is to be up front about it. If you don't say anything, and the offense shows up, that will cause problems.

I just tell them up front that I have a DUI on my record that will show up on a background check. I fullfilled all legal requirements and there have been no reoffenses.
I am not the original guy who posted this, but I have the same situation, and it really worries me, it was a big relief to hear that there is hope. Dui is the worst thing that ever happened to my life.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Worst thing that ever happened in my life too Shine. We just have to make sure we never forget that feeling..... best prevention for DUI I know of.

postDWI

Thank you so much

I really appreciate the thoughtful and respectful reply to my concerns. It has really taken a load off, not to have to worry so much about the effect this will have on myself and my family. Thanks again! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">