• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How is it possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmyluv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Question: How is it possible to have a BAC (blood test) of .33 (not am) after having 0 - 2 drinks? .33 and not comatose, that is.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Question: How is it possible to have a BAC (blood test) of .33 (not am) after having 0 - 2 drinks? .33 and not comatose, that is.
It isn't possible, of course.

Does this have to do with your first thread?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/drunk-driving-dui-dwi-27/expungement-441946.html

emmyluv

Yes.

A little history: In 2005 I had an emotional/life breakdown and had a relapse period of about six months. Unlike some I AM an alcoholic. I was in a place that I needed a drink just to function (cut the shakes, etc.). In September of that year I received my first DUI, it was around 3 in the afternoon and I had consumed two baby bottles of wine (to cut the shakes). I know for a fact that it was only two as that is all I had in the house and I was out to purchase more for the rest of the day. I went through all the BAC calculators online and wasn't even worried that I would meet the .08 criteria so imagine my shock when the test came back at .33. Then in December (about six weeks later) I received another DUI. This time I had had nothing to drink (was waiting for my family to leave the house before I went out and bought some wine). It was around 7pm and again the test came back at .33. Funny how it was the exact amount both times. Now looking back I'm wondering how that was even possible. I was walking, talking, lucid, etc. not where one would be at that level of intoxication. So...I thought I'd throw the question out here as to what could cause that kind of result.

Thank you.

Oh - before anyone gets on their high horse about my inquiry I went into a rehab for three months and have been sober ever since.

seniorjudge

Okay, a little high horse from me.

You are a dedicated alcoholic and you can tolerate a lot more of the drug than most people.

The record in our area for someone who didn't die is .4; so you still have a way to go.

Also, you are suffering from blackouts and don't remember how much you drank.

This was all covered in your rehab lectures.

emmyluv

No I was not suffering from black out - I was never a blackout type of alcoholic and I couldn't drink what I didn't have in the house. I always knew how much I was drinking (which is why I drank the baby bottles of wine).

Yes..as a practicing alcoholic my tolerance level was probably very high.

Please if you respond again remember that I am discussing events that happened three years ago. "you still have a way to go"

So essentially your answer is that because I was drinking heavily (six to eight baby bottles of wine on a daily basis) I was just walking around at a .33 BAC whether I had anything to drink or not?

Is it possible for someone to have that level of tolerance? And if so for those who are reading this forum and are continuing to drink bear that in mind! (a little bit of my high horse)

foot

So essentially your answer is that because I was drinking heavily (six to eight baby bottles of wine on a daily basis) I was just walking around at a .33 BAC whether I had anything to drink or not?
That was going to be my suggestion...were you drinking the night before? I ran into a fellow who was arrested for DUI in the afternoon the day after drinking with a BAC of .32 after not drinking at all that day.

emmyluv

Absolutely. The night before the night before that and so on. I was in a very very bad place. Of course I wish it hadn't taken two DUI's for me to seek help - again a suggestion to those that are in denial on the forum - but I am grateful that I did seek help and have made the changes in my life necessary to maintain sobriety.

Thank you for your post, I guess that is the answer. Alcoholic tolerance - scary.

FlyingRon

I had a guy in the ER who was quite lucid as I was working him up. Surprised the hell out of me when his BAC was .42.

BigMistakeFl

Yes, to Foot

My question also was going to be how much had you drank the night before, and how many hours had elapsed before the arrest as well. I had a man who presented with a very high BAC, yet he swore he'd not had anything that morning, only the night before. His alcoholism career had been an impressively long one. Not only was he more tolerant requiring more booze to get the buzz, his body took a very long time to metabolize the alcohol out of his system.

After much further discussion, it turned out he'd consumed more the night before than most people were capable of. And finally we figured out that his idea of "the night before" actually ended up at close to 5:30am. He'd slept just a couple of hours and got up, ready to start the cycle again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">