• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to turn myself in for DUI bench warrants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anowis213

In 2009 I was arrested for DUI in Michigan. I hired a lawyer, went to court and was convicted. I had my license suspended because I refused the breathalyzer. While trying to get that mess sorted out I was arrested again for DUI.

At the time I was also in the middle of finishing up my divorce as well as being foreclosed on in my home. I had already had my car repossessed and had just become unemployed. Things were going from bad to worse in a big hurry.

In the middle of all of this, I simply walked away. I went to live with a family member and lived off unemployment. I left no forwarding address, I left the foreclosure and repossession processes unfinished and most importantly never appeared in court for the 2nd DUI. I never paid the Sec. of State fees on the first DUI and have fallen behind on my child support.

Now I am out of money and am sure I have bench warrants for the DUI as well as child support.

I had been doing "side jobs" for cash and sending whatever I could to my ex, but always "off the books".

I need to get on with things and get a real job, but I know I have settle these matters 1st.

Should I get a job 1st, save some money, then turn myself in? I know I'm looking at some jail time. So any job I get I'm sure I'll lose it once I turn myself in. Is there any "public defenders" in Michigan for people with no money?

I am at a total loss as far as were to start. I need to get on with what's left of my life, I just need a place to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for reading this post.

Anowis213

I tried that, but unfortunately he seems to be no longer practicing. The second DUI also occurred in a different county from the one he worked in. I have no problems turning myself in, I know I have a debt to pay. I'm just extremely anxious about throwing myself at the "mercy of the court".

I am more anxious to keep living this way however, so I guess if that's my only option then so be it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">