• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am scared SH**LESS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ash222

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am a 24 yr old female. I am a stay at home mom of 2 special needs children and a part-time nursing student. Last Friday I got arrested for my 1st time OWI. It was the first time I was ever arrested. I really REALLY can't go to jail. Both of my kids are special needs (Autism) and they really need me to be home.

I tell you my story-

It was my last day of my fall semester so me and my classmates went out for lunch and some drinks after class. I didn't eat anything and drank probably 4 beers. I am not a big drinker and I weight 100 lbs. so what I drank made me really drunk. Basically I puked on myself. I don't even remember getting in my car. If I was in any sane state of mind I would have NEVER drove home. It is the biggest regret of my life. My husband is ready to leave me over it. I have never been so deppressed in my whole life. So I got pulled over and blew a blood alchohol level of .17

Even if I shouldn't I am going to hire an attorney, I can not go to jail.

What I am asking is, do you think there is anyway I will not go to jail?

In your opinion, do you think there is anyway I can make myself look better in court such as volunteering for something in the county or going to AA or MADD meetings?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BoredAtty

This is from Michigan's website:

A first-time offender convicted of drunk driving faces:

* Up to 93 days in jail
* Up to a $500 fine
* Up to 360 hours of community service
* Up to 6 points on a driver’s license
* Up to 180 days with a suspended license, with a restricted license possible after 30 days

Convicted drunk drivers will also be subject to a new $1,000 penalty that is included in a recently approved driver responsibility program. The $1,000 penalty will be imposed for two consecutive years. Drivers may still be arrested and charged with impaired driving, however, the law no longer has a blood alcohol content associated with impaired. Those convicted of impaired driving face an additional $500 penalty assessed for two consecutive years.​

It's smart to hire an attorney. He'll know what you need to do to get as light a sentence as possible.

fairisfair

of course, those are the maximum penalties. That doesn't mean that is what you are facing.

of course BA is correct (he has only been wrong once. LOL ), hiring an attorney is your best bet.

wow, is Michigan that tough? In PA you can get a disposition called ARD that only suspends your license for 30 days. No jail, no criminal conviction... Don't they have any special "first time" offender deals?

Silverplum

Funny, *I* am scared to death whenever a DRUNK DRIVER is out on the roads! :eek:

If you CAN'T go to jail, then DON'T do the crime. Do you think that your sad little story actually matters?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">