• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I really need some advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

assassoid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I got a DUI in spring of '11 . The terms were 500 dollar fine and court costs(payed) , to get DUI evaluation (done, got it in my hand) and to complete the prescribed hours. I have done all the but the 96 hours of substance abuse treatment.. I payed the money to the local mental health agency after my evaluation to start the substance abuse treatment but they could not get me in till August. So suddenly yesterday , since I guess it took me more than a year to get the money to pay for the subt. abuse treatement. and make the appt. I got a letter from court date saying the court supervision is being revoked because I did not "get a risk eval and complete treatment" I simply could not get this done quicker due to being on disability and having barely any money.

Can someone tell me what to expect in court? can i explain that i am late because of money ( i got the evaluation months ago) that I am clean, trying my best, and that the evaluation will be in my hand... I am only waiting on the appt. to start substance abuse counseling per court req. ... what do you guys think mite happen? I don't want to go to jail. I go to na.aa often and am doing the best I can

I am really scared so any advise is appreciated

To be specific. I got the DUI eval months ago, but only was able to come up with the money to start the substance abuse treatment this last month. I even brought it to the states attorneys office but they didn't seem phased. I am gonna run to my lawyer first thing monday but wished to get some opinions on how lenient judges are with things like this. what do I say to him? I can only tell the truth and I really don't think this is cause to revoke me as I have done all they said to do... but just late because of lack of money

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I got a DUI in spring of '11 . The terms were 500 dollar fine and court costs(payed) , to get DUI evaluation (done, got it in my hand) and to complete the prescribed hours. I have done all the but the 96 hours of substance abuse treatment.. I payed the money to the local mental health agency after my evaluation to start the substance abuse treatment but they could not get me in till August. So suddenly yesterday , since I guess it took me more than a year to get the money to pay for the subt. abuse treatement. and make the appt. I got a letter from court date saying the court supervision is being revoked because I did not "get a risk eval and complete treatment" I simply could not get this done quicker due to being on disability and having barely any money.

Can someone tell me what to expect in court? can i explain that i am late because of money ( i got the evaluation months ago) that I am clean, trying my best, and that the evaluation will be in my hand... I am only waiting on the appt. to start substance abuse counseling per court req. ... what do you guys think mite happen? I don't want to go to jail. I go to na.aa often and am doing the best I can

I am really scared so any advise is appreciated

To be specific. I got the DUI eval months ago, but only was able to come up with the money to start the substance abuse treatment this last month. I even brought it to the states attorneys office but they didn't seem phased. I am gonna run to my lawyer first thing monday but wished to get some opinions on how lenient judges are with things like this. what do I say to him? I can only tell the truth and I really don't think this is cause to revoke me as I have done all they said to do... but just late because of lack of money
I'm sorry, no one here knows your judge. how would we know how lenient he will be, or what he intends to do.

you have a lawyer, use him.

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to predict how a judge will act in any given situation. Laws dictate the boundaries that a judge may act within, however, judges are also given a lot of leniency as to how sentence any given crime.

The best way to predict how your judge will rule in a given situation is usually be talking to an attorney who is familiar with him or her. Many jurisdictions also publish judge profiles that can give you some insight into the judge's background and occasionally, their thought process too. The other thing you can do is check the judge's sentencing track record, if you can find it. The information is public, but most public databases aren't very user-friendly in terms of organization.

aldaron

Best course of action isn't to wait but go before the court and explain your situation and let the cards be dealt, have you asked your attorney who represented you? They don't want you in jail, aren't those classes costs on a sliding scale for poor folks? Ask questions and see if theres options for you, ask the judge when you go before him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">