• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I'm not charged, is it on my record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

authentiix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Back at school an incident happened in the dorm where a friend got really drunk, hit his head, and was taken to the hospital (he was fine, apparently didn't need to be taken to the hospital but better safe than sorry). I was with my when this happened (I was also drinking a little, but I wasn't nearly drunk and I was coherent), and was questioned by the police (I admitted to drinking a little with my friend, but it was obvious that I wasn't drunk) + gave the cops the rest of my friend's alcohol from my his room. Basically, I cooperated 100%, and was never breathalyzed. The cop took down my name, birthdate, and e-mail (I did not give him my ID).

Now, my school likes to keep things within the school, so nothing happened to me and my friend except talking to some lady who works for the school. We each met with her individually and she told us to explain what happened, then essentially she said not to do it again. Nothing else happened to us. My school basically accepts that students drink and doesn't like students drinking in dorms because they don't want other students to feel pressured to drink, rather than actually having anything against students drinking.

I'm wondering if that incident is on my record at all (just a few notes or something since I wasn't charged), and if cops/court could see it? Do you think the cops actually wrote on my record even though I wasn't charged, or do you think they just left it to the school?
I have a court date for underage possession/consumption coming up (completely different scenario), and if it is on my record (not as a charge, just mentioned), would the cops/judge be able to refer to it in court to give me a harsher penalty, even though I wasn't charged and nothing happened?

Were you questioned by campus police or by the city's police? If it was campus police, were they actual cops or a private security force? If it's the later, chances are it's not on your record.

Even if they were real cops, it doesn't sound like you were actually ever arrested or cited. If you were arrested or given a ticket, then nothing will be on your record. It sounds like they were just investigating the situation, so you should be fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">