• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ignition Interlock Device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mazzykat

Texas

I just found out that my brother was ordered by a judge in Houston TX to install an ignition interlock device on his car. He also has a motorcycle. Does the order apply to the bike? Or is he still allowed to drive his motorcycle? He didn't tell me about the order, and has become withdrawn from the family since we've approached him about his drinking problem, so I haven't been able to ask him myself. He claims that he's about to go on a road trip on his bike. I fear for his life, and anyone on the road who is near him.

Thank you in advance.

CavemanLawyer

Unless they have come up with a new design in the last year that I am not aware of, it is not possible to install an ignition interlock device on a motorcycle. At least the companies that deal in this equipment won't do it.

When interlock is ordered by a Court the order will specify the specific vehicle that must have the interlock installed if the defendant indicates that they intend to drive. Otherwise, the order simply states that they may only drive a vehicle that has interlock installed. So he is not required to have the device installed on all of his vehicles but if he gets caught driving any vehicle without it then he is in violation of the order and in violation of whatever agreement resulted in the order, ( his bond if the case is pending or his probation post conviction.) It sounds like he is on bond for the pending DWI. If he gets pulled over without interlock then his bond will most likely be revoked and doubled.

mazzykat

Thanks for your reply. To make sure I understand....He only has to have it on one vehicle, but he can only drive the vehicle that has it installed. And "vehicle" would include the motorcycle?

And yes, he is on bond for the pending DWI. His second DWI, and 3rd or 4th wreck (but the only one involving another vehicle) in about 2 months. He claims one of those was a blowout, but it took a heavy duty step rail off of his truck!

In Texas, the interlock device order is for any vehicle that he has access to. Meaning, if has a car, a truck, an RV, and a motorcycle, any vehicle that he owns or operates must have an interlock.

irish77

same for PA

ironically I just posted a response from PennDOT on here today because I was unaware that one was required on a bike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">