• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ignition Interlock in Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Virtuo

Currently have an Ignition Interlock installed, and have so for 6 weeks now. Was looking forward to being able to drive again but extremely anxious in regards to the Ignition Interlock, based on a multitude of bad reviews. First, the device doesn't just pickup alcohol that you're drinking (beer, wine, liquor, etc.), it's also picking anything that is alcohol based, that from what I understand, you breath in and the device is able to "pickup." So, not only will things like mouthwash, cologne, deodorant, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, hand lotion possibly set them off, but things directly associate with your car, such as windshield washer fluid, gasoline, anti-freeze, can also set it off. Anything ending in OL or YL contain or are a form of alcohol. I've been abstinent from alcohol for over a year now, so consuming alcohol isn't the issue here, it's the actual other items it will pickup.

My first day with the device and an active license, I got my vehicle back on the road, did minor maintenance, washed the car and on my way back home, blew a .016 and .011, in that order. For Massachusetts, they set the limit for a violation to be .02, which is lower than the .08 DUI limit. I, of course, was pretty frazzled, but then realized that I used my windshield washer fluid to clean any residue on the windows, as a form of habit, while driving back home. Of course, it could've been a number of things, including the car wash chemicals, but I pinpointed it to be the windshield washer fluid. I was ok, with occasional, "BLOW HARDER", "BLOW SOFTER", "INVALID BREATH SAMPLE" errors which pop up while doing a rolling test, which in itself are difficult, as you either choose to pull over, when it's sometimes not possible or slow down and do it while driving. Granted, this is allowing me to be able to drive, if you accumulate a matter of 1 or 2 violations, it can suspend your license again, for 10 years to life.

The other day, I started my vehicle to head to work, blew a .000, no issues and let the vehicle warm up. Drove down the road and a few minutes later, they ask for a rolling test (within 4-8 minutes) and everytime I take a rolling test, I take a swig of water, just to make sure anything i'm breathing is flushed out and it's a clean sample. This came back as a .021 which causes the unit to go into lockout mode, the horn honks and you have to pull over quickly and restart within 5 minutes and give another breath sample. This lockout is temporary but further, you have to order a new device, otherwise after 48 hours, you can't drive again. There's a lot of fees associated, which I don't understand how any person can pay the fees without a good paying job. So, after the 5 minutes, I restarted the vehicle with a .000 reading and did another rolling test within 15 minutes and that read .000 as well. In the meantime, following the fail reading, I used a backup BAC tester that I have that's portable and was able to test myself right after the fail and prior to restarting the vehicle. It came up as a .000. They tell you not to eat or drink anything 15-20 minutes prior and all I drank was one cup of coffee, black and a full cup of water. I took a shower in the morning but that was an hour prior to leaving and used deodorant and cologne which was a half-hour prior to leaving. The only thing I did do prior to leaving the driveway and the vehicle was stationary was use windshield washer fluid. I thought because I used it last time while in motion, that the fumes from the windshield washer fluid (alcohol) came back into the cabin of the car somehow and if stationary, it wouldn't---apparently I was wrong and cannot use windshield washer fluid, unless I want to risk my driving privilege.

A lot of detail here, simply because I think some people think it's black and white and it's really not. Many things can set these devices off and further the penalties are worse than if you get an actual DUI (OUI) in Massachusetts. Besides tampering or missing monthly visits to have the data downloaded to the company, if you blow over a .05, you get summons to the RMV (DMV), after 2 blows between .02-.05, you get summons to the RMV, where each time you face 10 years-life for a license loss. I have to keep this device in my vehicle for 3 1/2 years and getting through 6 weeks was bad enough. You basically have to be inside a bubble for something to come off of you and be picked up by the device or in the cabin of your car into the device.

I currently have the Intoxalock device, based on it's location and "reviews", which I'm finding out most of them have negative reviews. I'm looking to hear from anyone in Massachusetts who has had success and even stories where people had negative experiences and how they overcame them. I'll hopefully get my lockout calibrated device tomorrow and be back on the road and am just as nervous as the first time as I don't want to get another violation that is essentially a false positive. Feedback... PLEASE! :)

quincy

Currently have an Ignition Interlock installed, and have so for 6 weeks now ... I currently have the Intoxalock device, based on it's location and "reviews", which I'm finding out most of them have negative reviews ...
Have you thought of asking about the possibility of having a different ignition interlock system installed in your vehicle? Despite a question on the forum recently about a faulty sensor in a Monitech unit, these units do not appear to have the history of false positives other systems have.

Virtuo

Monitech isn't in MA, this is Intoxalock. Honestly, you will find histories of false positive on ALL the devices. They are fuel cell technology, so they pickup alcohol in all form levels. I'm looking for tips to avoid these violations, as if it was a faulty device, then I wouldn't have had similar violations on two calibrated devices.

quincy

Monitech isn't in MA, this is Intoxalock. Honestly, you will find histories of false positive on ALL the devices. They are fuel cell technology, so they pickup alcohol in all form levels. I'm looking for tips to avoid these violations, as if it was a faulty device, then I wouldn't have had similar violations on two calibrated devices.
Here are two links, the first to troubleshooting problems with interlock systems, and the second to Intoxalock.com and Frequently Asked Questions. You can submit your own queries to Intoxalock.

http://ignitioninterlock.com/troubleshooting-ignition-interlock-devices-and-systems/

https://www.intoxalock.com/Portals/0/PDF_docs/FAQs/Interlock_FAQ_Customer.pdf

Good luck.

quincy

Virtuo, if you have comments or questions about interlock systems, please add them to THIS thread instead of adding them to old, archived threads. This forum prefers that old threads are not revived. They are for reference purposes only.

Thank you. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">