• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IID & Batteries, Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virtuo1

Have an IID installed on vehicle and have so for the past 9 months. Have left vehicle without starting for up to 3 days and have been able to start with no problems. Device manufacturer advises that the vehicle must be started 4 times a week in order to keep the battery charged. I'm reading that most of these devices is a very small draw on the battery and as long as the vehicle/battery is newer and haven't had problems to date, there shouldn't be problems with a period of time not starting. I will be taking a trip and will be away from Tuesday morning until Saturday night, which is 4 1/2 days, but within a weeks time, the car will be started over 4 times and driven several.

My question is: will leaving the car not started between Tuesday 5am until Saturday 10pm cause the battery to drain enough where it won't start? Further, once the battery is drained enough, the IID won't have power and will then cause a lockout. I don't want to have anyone start it, as I'm responsible for their samples. Further, I'm wondering what the draw on the battery for a typical IID is AND If a trickle charger would do the trick.

Any insight, would be great. IID forums give little to no information, than "start the vehicle 4 days a week" and "you're responsible for all samples."

Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sigh...

This is certainly not a legal question.

Speak with the device installer or manufacturer.

GuyInNC

I have a Smart Start IID. It draws around 0.25 amps when the head unit is not plugged in. If you have a newish battery, a one-time 25-30 amp-hour draw would probably not be an issue (that is about what would result from a constant 0.25 amp draw for 4.5 days). Sub-zero weather is a different thing altogether. But you should call your supplier to find out the specs on your device as it might be different.

I routinely keep a 2 amp charger on my car and that has not created a problem. I would recommend that if it is possible in your situation - particularly over a Mass. winter. And I would suggest that you get a charger designed to be permanently connected and will not overcharge. I use the Schumacher SP3 Battery Extender device. Continuous charging/discharging over 3 day intervals (at 250 milli-amps) is hard on a battery.

quincy

I have a Smart Start IID. It draws around 0.25 amps when the head unit is not plugged in. If you have a newish battery, a one-time 25-30 amp-hour draw would probably not be an issue (that is about what would result from a constant 0.25 amp draw for 4.5 days). Sub-zero weather is a different thing altogether. But you should call your supplier to find out the specs on your device as it might be different.

I routinely keep a 2 amp charger on my car and that has not created a problem. I would recommend that if it is possible in your situation - particularly over a Mass. winter. And I would suggest that you get a charger designed to be permanently connected and will not overcharge. I use the Schumacher SP3 Battery Extender device. Continuous charging/discharging over 3 day intervals (at 250 milli-amps) is hard on a battery.
A non-legal answer to a non-legal question and it may or may not be applicable to virtuo1 and virtuo1's IID.

Nice. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, since we're on to the battery wear portion of our day...
The OP must realize that "4 times a week" doesn't mean he can make four trips in one day and then let it sit the rest of the week.

GuyInNC

A non-legal answer to a non-legal question and it may or may not be applicable to virtuo1 and virtuo1's IID.

Nice. ;)
Just for the sake of completeness and accuracy here, one can be highly confident that, given the recommendation of the supplier for 'starting the car every 2-3 days, the current draw of this device is going to be roughly what was stated above (but if it were me I would verify with the manufacturer anyway).

quincy

I hope the trip virtuo1 plans to take does not violate the terms of his probation (to move from the battery wear portion of the day and onto the legal portion of the day :)).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">