• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IID reliability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Russtopher

Is there a list out there, rating the reliability of the different brands of IID devices? I am considering the switch to another maker-brand. Nothing but issues with current one.

Thank You

quincy

Is there a list out there, rating the reliability of the different brands of IID devices? I am considering the switch to another maker-brand. Nothing but issues with current one.

Thank You
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

You can check out the reliability of various brands of ignition interlock devices by using your computer's search engine. Plug in the brand names and look for published reviews and ratings - but you should also look to the source of what you find. Not all sources are ones you can rely on for accurate information.

All of the ignition interlock devices have had reported reliability issues, by the way.

Not all devices are in use in all states and some areas will use only specific brands ... so you may not have the option of choosing a device.

Last edited:

GuyInNC

When I was 'researching this topic', I did not find what felt like was a solid source of information. Certainly nothing like a Consumer Reports analysis of vacuum cleaners, for example.

I came to the conclusion that the attitude and competence of the installer/service place is a very important factor here. Along those lines I would avoid any place that isn't dedicated to servicing IID's (as opposed to Joe's Auto Stereo Shop). And I would 'just drop by' for a chat to make as good an assessment as possible about their competence (tough to evaluate) and attitude (much easier to evaluate).

The internet is chock full of anecdotal stories (typically horror tales - not much out there saying "let me tell you just how good my XYZ IID device is"). Like much of the anonymous stuff out there, take it as the truth at your peril. And the sources of information (those with DUI's for the most part - like me) do not represent the best possible pool of folks from which to be getting anonymous information. But there probably is "some signal there inside all the noise", regardless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">