• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL MIP and ill transportation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtalex

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My friends and I are driving on a country road at about 11 at night. There are three of us in the car and we are all 18. I have had a handful of drinks of beer as have the other two in the car. We get pulled over for reckless driving and the driver stuffs a beer under my seat and the guy in the back stashes his. Well, the cop sees the backseat beer and has the driver get out and do some field sobriety tests. She managed to fail them even though she would later blow a .03. So, we all get out and I admit to drinking half of a beer about an hour ago, but I blow a zero. He finds the beer under my seat and I am charged with ILCS 5/11-502 illegal transportation of alcohol and ILCS 235/5/6-20 illegal possesion of alcohol by a minor. They are citations with a notice to appear.

I realize what I did was wrong and have not gone out since. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar cases or could let me know what to expect. Also, I am considering pleading not guilty to the transport ticket because I wasn't driving. I'm not sure if that matters. Would I be better off simply talking to the DA? Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">