• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting article claims US legislators immune from DUI laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/Aug1999/081999/criminalclass4-081999.htm

This is an insane article written back in 1999 that examines how the US legislature has been invoking constitutional privilege to get out of various traffic crimes. The article claims that in 1998, it was invoked 84 times to protect senators and congressman pulled over under suspicion of DUI. Furthermore, the article claims that almost 3000 parking tickets were issued to vehicles owned by members of the legislature in 1998, of which none were ever paid.

That is ridiculous.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I'm not surprised; they write the laws and then make them apply to everyone else. Still, with the media coverage as crazy as it is lately and the love of a good scandal, I doubt it goes on like it used to.

CdwJava

I have a friend who used to work with the DC police ... it still does. Maybe not quite as often as it used to, but our Congresscritters have a great deal of immunity from criminal prosecution.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">